Bobby Flay »

A Laugh At Bobby Flay’s Expense

bobby-flay-lost-here
(Serio’s Deli in New Orleans, via Twitter)

Many people (myself included) think Bobby Flay still comes across as the same arrogant, egotistical brat he was 20 years ago. It’s my personal opinion that the Food Network sensed the public’s growing loathing of Flay, and created “Throwdown” in an attempt to artificially portray him as humble and likable loser.

BOBBY FLAY’S WIN RATES ON THROWDOWN:
Season 1: Won 3/Lost 15 (20% win rate)
Season 2: Won 4/Lost 13 (31% win rate)
Season 3: Won 5/Lost 13 (39% win rate)
Season 4: Won 4/Lost 12 (33% win rate)
Season 5: Won 3/Lost 13 (23% win rate)
Season 6 (ongoing): Won 4/Lost 9 (44% win rate… get ready for some losses in upcoming episodes!)

The outcomes are obviously pre-determined, evidenced by the steadily hovering 30% win rates and this article, in which a judge notes the producers egged him on to choose a certain winner.

So, are YOU ready for a totally fake Throwdown?

---VIDEO: Bobby Flay Calls Horse Race
---Bobby Flay: Throwdown v2.0
---The New Bobby Flay Promo Is Ear-Bleedingly Awful
---Bobby Flay Annoys Cablevision Customers With Obnoxious Commercial
---Bobby Flay on Entourage: Part 2

1. Mike In Detroit says:

I saw that episode. Big deal. Muffelleta sandwiches. Those guys should be so lucky FN and Flay gave them so much free publicity. Fix in or not.

2. eyeris says:

I hate Throwdown and think this sign is hilarious. Bobby Flay is obnoxious and the fact that this show exists makes me hate him even more.

3. Greg says:

You know how they decide what restaurants make it on Throwdown, right?

First, some low level interns send emails to some local town newspapers, asking for recommendations where to eat. Of course, the newspaper people usually recommend their friends and family, instead of the best local restaurants.

Then, the producers go eenie-meenie miney-moe, and voila, an episode of Throwdown is born.

It means squat that they beat Flay. But I think the sign is still funny nonetheless. A slap in Flay’s arrogant face is always okay with me.

4. FoodieOne says:

Personally, I really like Bobby Flay. I didn’t have cable when the original “Iron Chef” appeared, so I never saw him act like a complete idiot. I really love Throwdown and love to see him lose. I think it makes the regular, working folks feel good to know that they can out-cook a hot shot. In fact, my favorite part of “Thowdown” is seeing the people who have worked so hard to perfect their dishes.

5. Byrdie says:

I can’t stand to watch Throwdown (or any other Flay show for that matter). It comes across to me as contrived and just like all the other FN shows, boring and self serving. I noted in the article he was called superchef. Give me a break. He’s a glorified hamburger line cook. He’s been created by the FN as a “star” and the ignorant public buys into the hype. And don’t underestimate the cooking talent in NOLA…they are serious foodies.

6. Cheryl says:

I think he’s mellowed out a LOT since Iron Chef. My mom swears she thinks it happened since he got married this last time (I think he’s been married before?). My mom also thinks that he has a crush on Giada after watching how he treated her when she was his sous chef on Iron chef.

I think now he comes off more as passionate and not so priggish. And I was completely ANTI Flay for several years after Morimoto-gate!

7. Cat Chow says:

maybe they should try the “formidable opponent” format Colbert uses…that would be hilarious, he gets to smack himself!

8. Megan says:

Throwdown’s always seemed pretty dumb to me, for a lot of reasons. No chef is going to be an expert in everything, so having Bobby Flay have a wedding cake throwdown is just silly. He’s not a pastry chef, for cryin’ out loud! And the judges’ reasoning is always so ludicrously biased: they ALWAYS judge on “classic” taste, which Flay always experiments against, so of course the challenger is going to win. Yawn. I don’t have any personal vendetta against Flay, but he does kind of seem like a one-trick pony.

Yeah, doesn’t bother me if the show is contrived – all T.V. is contrived. (hear that NFNS fans? lol) The only place you can get reality T.V. is on video surveillance cameras. Competition and ‘reality’ T.V. shows are only fun (IMO) if you take ‘em in as NOT real, but just plain old entertainment

I don’t watch Throwdown all the time, but the concept is great, and a few of the episodes have been fun to watch. Bacon-infused creme anglaise on bread pudding? buttermilk-double-dipped fried chicken? And the pod thai episode? Oh yeah.

I have no idea the size of Bobby’s ego, but I have faith he can take some ribbing from the muffuletta guys and still be able to sleep at night. :-D

10. Kittykitty says:

I don’t like the people are tricked into thinking they’re going to be on a real show, but I like that they get to showcase their specialties. When Bobby Flay appears you know he usually isn’t going to respect the traditions of the food in question. No, Bobby – peppers don’t make everything new and different.

11. Brittany says:

eh, I don’t mind Bobby. To me he doesn’t seem arrogant. Although I’ve never seen the Iron Chef episode that you all were referring to.

For me the only sad thing about Throwdown is when someone loses for a food that they’ve obviously taken a long time to “perfect” these people are small town heroes for their food of choice so it’s always a little sad to me when Bobby comes in and beats them at something their obviously passionate about.

P.S. I LOVE the pepper comment above me lol he does tend to use them a LOT

12. Fred says:

Are you all still speaking about the Iron Chef when Bobby jumped on the cutting board? Wow…I think it is time to let go. It is a piece of plastic, not the original tablet that the 10 Commandments were transcribed upon. Love him or hate him, he is successful, talented and his food is good. Respect the success, appreciate the talent (or don’t) and enjoy the food. Is it really that hard to figure out??

13. Greg says:

• Old Wolf says:

Agreed. Forgiveness is earned, not given freely. Even if it takes decades, don’t let it go until he’s earned his forgiveness.

14. Byrdie says:

As they say in a court of law, “It goes to character”…

15. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Throwdown is not a horrible show. It’s mostly funny because he always loses.

re: Kitty’s comment “I don’t like the people are tricked into thinking they’re going to be on a real show” – neither did I, until I came to the conclusion that these local cooks and chefs know about it long before tv cameras show up. I mean, since when does the Food Network air specials on lasagna or great french dip sandwiches of the South, with local people hosting the show? Nah, anyone familiar with the network would know Bobby’s on the way. Everyone just plays along. And that’s not bad – all part of TV entertainment.

17. Derek Lutz says:

My favorite moment of any Throwdown is when Bobby saunters in from behind or through the crowd and waits to be recognized. Amazingly, every cook knows exactly who he is but is “surprised” by the Throwdown challenge. The only guy I can remember not being excited was the NYC doughnut guy from one of the early seasons – he was pissed that he was tricked by FN and begrudgingly accepted the challenge.

18. RD says:

I actually was present when Throwdown taped its one-hour special at the Biltmore Hotel in Miami. I still think that episode was rigged, or at least the audience judges were so in love with Bobby Flay (or felt bad for him) they let him win. The food and the cocktail from the challengers were better than Flay’s food by a mile.

19. Johnny says:

You need to work on your math skills.

Season 1: Won 3/Lost 15 (20% win rate)
    Season 2: Won 4/Lost 13 (31% win rate)
    Season 3: Won 5/Lost 13 (39% win rate)
    Season 4: Won 4/Lost 12 (33% win rate)
    Season 5: Won 3/Lost 13 (23% win rate)

His win rate for season 1 is 3 out of 18, which is 16.67%. Season 2 is 4 out of 17, which is 23.35%, etc.

20. Julia says:

Come on, you guys. “Throwdown’s fake”? Next you’ll tell me the Pope’s Catholic, bears shit in the woods, and Lance Bass is gay.

You fell for it, and it took you six seasons to figure it out, just admit it. It took me about 3 episodes. They ARE using his bogus asshole street cred to showcase local specialties–hell, it beats Guy Ferry stuffing crap into his mouth, doesn’t it?

And yes, I love Bobby and I’ve loved him since the mid-1990s when he was marooned on Lifetime during the lunch hour. FN may not want to acknowledge “The Main Ingredient”, but that’s who Bobby was and, if they let him be himself again, will still be.

21. Julia says:

“@Fred, it’s foolish to put a time limit on how long you can talk about something like Flay blatantly disrespecting a fellow chef. I don’t think it’s time to let it go at all, and neither do the thousands of people whom he offended. Is THAT really so hard to figure out?”

Morimoto forgave him, completely. He’s gone on camera saying so, that he gets how worked up the American crew got about winning, and that it was a mistake not only on Bobby’s part (or his crew), but also his, that he overreacted. Oh snap. But then again, you’d have had to watch Flay’s “chefography” (oh gag FN, come on) to know that. Actually learn about him instead of slagging on him. Imagine that. Knowing your enemy.

• dookies says:

Morimoto and Flay are now “friends”, but Morimoto didn’t forgive him completely. They are co-iron chefs , what choice do they have. and i would like to see the clip where Morimoto “says how he understands how the American crew gets worked up about winning”. Keep in mind, FLAY LOST THAT BATTLE. He got up and hollered “RAISE THE ROOF” twice before the judging even took place. total asswipe. Besides the disrespecting, he seemed and sounded like a total douchebag saying that.

22. Southernkiss says:

Bobby Flay is an arrogant ass. If you can’t tell it on Throwdown then just watch him on “The Next Food Network Star”. Some of these people can really cook and he treats them like crap. I think he is afraid someone will actualy show that they are better than him.

23. JJ Money says:

I’m so glad I found this website and I’m amazed I hadn’t seen it sooner.

Now I finally have a place to publicly call Bobby a douche after all these years.

24. Keeping it real says:

Seriously,, get a job.. What have you done for the home cook? Thats right, nothing,, :)