General: Food Humor, Lists »

18 Kit-Kat Flavors You’ve (Probably) Never Tried

Oh Japan… what will you think of next?

Candied sweet potato Kit-Kat:
kit kats from around the world

Apple vinegar Kit-Kat with white chocolate:

Sweet corn Kit-Kat:

Watermelon and salt Kit-Kat:

Potato Kit-Kat:

Salt & caramel Kit-Kat:

Muscat Of Alexandria Grapes Kit-Kat:
kit kats from around the world

Kit-Kat mini with kinako (toasted soy flour):

Pumpkin Kit-Kat:

Green tea Kit-Kat:

Espresso Kit-Kat with white chocolate:

Apple Kit-Kat:

Red beak soup flavored Kit-Kat:

Caramel macchiato Kit-Kat:

Pineapple Kit-Kat:

Chestnut Kit-Kat:

Blood orange Kit-kat
kit kats from around the world

Milk and red bean filling with green tea coating:
kit kats from around the world

(Images were compiled from across the internet; we did not take these photos and do not assume ownership of them. If you own the copyright to any of these photos, please let us know and we will remove the image, or add a link to your work at your request!)

---18 Unusual Ice Cream Flavors From Around The World
---Unusual Canned Foods From Around The World (45 Pics)
---McDonalds Menu Items Around The World (Part 2, 32 pics)
---New Ben & Jerry’s Celebrity Ice Cream Flavors
---Milk Just Got A Whole Lot Safer!

1. Teague says:

Wow some interesting and odd flavors. But I’d certainly be game to try them.

A few years ago in Scotland he had a passion fruit Kit Kat that was excellent. In Montreal, a while back I had a banana Kit Kat not as good.

2. RaleighRob says:

Potato?? Really? Wow.

Of those I would probably try the Espresso & White Chocolate and maybe Chestnut. I’ll pass on all the others. Wow.

3. Erin says:

MMMMMM…I will take the salt and caramel and the blood orange and chocolate, please. They both look good, although if I were to guess, the salt and caramel one would probably taste better.

4. Byrdie says:

What? No octopus and seaweed KitKat? I personally would like to taste the green tea flavored…mmmm…nothing like a GREEN CANDY BAR….

• Avi says:

If you like green candy bars, you’d probably dig the Wasabi flavoured kit-kat. My roommate brought one back for me after she went to Japan this summer. Wasn’t spicy like wasabi as I was expecting. Kind of tasted like white chocolate with grass, but in a good way.

5. Ang says:

some of those flavors i would definitely want to try! bring them to the USA!

6. Kittykitty says:

I love Kit Kat bars. I would probably try every one of these – especially the espresso and white chocolate.

7. Kitty says:

I kind of want to try all of those. <3

8. It’s not like red bean soup sounds great – but did you have to make it “Red beak soup flavored Kit-Kat”? Yikes…

9. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I would probably try some of these crazy flavors but some of them are really weird. I can’t imagine potato or sweet corn a big seller. The salt and caramel sounds really good though.

• Ketutar says:

I think your difficulties in thinking people would like potato or sweet corn kitkat is because you think of the savory dishes made of potatoes and sweet corn. But let’s take a walk on the wild side…

Think of carrot cake. Think of zucchini cake. Not bad, not bad at all. You can make good, sweet cake with basically all the vegetables.

What about s’mores? Graham crackers (savory) with chocolate and marshmallows.

Or chocolate pretzels? Or salted peanuts with chocolate or toffee? Yum!

Some people are selling chocolate covers potato chips and they are reportedly very tasty.

well… salted peanuts, pretzels, potato chips – not too different.

Then the sweet corn.

Cornflakes are sweet corn ground, fried and covered with sugar.

Pop corn is dried and popped sweet corn. Ever tasted candy popcorn?

Is it easier to imagine corn kitkat that is actually good? Or potato kitkat?

:-)

10. Lauren says:

I have the apple vinegar ones, I haven’t tried them yet. But the green tea ones are DELICIOUS! I had way too much fun looking for random candy in Japan, although I must say I’m sad I didn’t see half these flavors while I was there.

11. Automne says:

I tried the green tea one while I was in Japan. There was a white chocolate/berry one, too while I was there. The rest of these I’ve never seen.

BTW: Japan has a candy bar called Crunk. Caused a fit of giggles at the 99-yen store.

12. K says:

It’s amazing how many flavors they can come up with- I love buying whatever’s “new” whenever I get a chance to go to Japan.

Not to sound too nitpicky, but the “Milk and red bean filling with green tea coating” one at the end has a photo of the Pineapple Kit Kat from before.

13. Picbuddy says:

A lot of these flavors are regional such as the Potato version comes from Hokkaido where they grow excellent potatoes. The Watermelon and salt (says just a little bit of salt is only available for a limited time just during summer, and the caramel and salt is a recent boon/boom or trend. Also “red beak” is actually red bean paste soup flavor. Nice collection of photos. I love Japan, as does my Japanese wife. :)

14. Tarmac says:

I’ve actually tried the green tea one when a friend brought one back from Japan. Doesn’t actually taste much different from a regular Kit-Kat.

15. saaikodetsu55 says:

if u were asian u would understand
    :D
    Just kidding
    they probably taste good tho
    reminds me of the last time I visited taiwan.
    I got roasted chicken flavored potato chips
    and also seaweed flavor
    both were strangely awesome
    :D

• Brian says:

chicken flavoured ptotato chips r normal where im from…seaweed flavour nt soo much.lol but seaweed flavoured crackers yeap..

16. Nicky says:

I’ve never had these odd-flavored Kit-Kats, but kinako tastes very similar to peanut butter. Azuki, or read beans, are a very common Asian sweet treat. I’ve had azuki ice cream before, and to me, it tasted much like watermelon.

17. [...] of Kit-Kat bars that exist in Japan, and the results are pretty wild. I found these pictures on this site, and just as that site says, I didn’t take these pictures myself, I found them on the [...]

18. Calee says:

Espresso Kit-Kat with white chocolate
    and the caramel macchiato actually sound good.

19. [...] – How about a baked potato flavored Kit Kat? Or a sweet corn flavored Kit Kat? Or a candied sweet potato Kit-Kat? Or an apple vinegar Kit-Kat with white chocolate? Those crazy Japanese people will eat anything! Read more. [...]

20. Jon says:

have had the Apple, Green Tea flavors from friend who brought back from Japan, both interesting. Green Tea is good. It’s more like a white chocolate coating with the green tea flavor. Apple was so-so.

I want the roasted corn! and blood orange!

21. Simpfan says:

I am so over the obvious chocolate upon chocolate.
    Why cant we (the US) get some interesting candy flavors that arent from the super expensive “all natural” and “organic” varieties.

22. Jc says:

Not one of you know why KitKat is popular in Japan? Really? You think wafer-crazy Asians would fall for this terrible American version?

The ONLY reason why KitKat is big in Japan and NO WHERE ELSE in Asia is because of a brilliant ad campaign. Kitkat in Japanese is “Kito Katsu”, which sounded like “Kitto Katsu” or “Always winning”. They are marketed to kids as good luck charms to those entering high school or college entrance exams, and soon everyone was CARRYING THEM AROUND. No, they don’t eat them – they hang them on their bags and key-chains. That’s why they need so many flavors – not because they taste good, but a different version means you have to get new ones for your collection (Japanese love collections and limited editions). You see, it’s because they’re not eating them. Some were decorating them with gems and other things on the wrapper.
    Why do some of those other flavors taste just like the original? ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EATING THEM. It’s a marketing driven fad which plays on the Japanese close interpersonal relationships and tradition of giving good luck charms. They do eat them sometimes but the flavor is not the key here.

Have any of you ever seen a Japanese cake shop? Do you think with the tremendous amount of sweets (almost all of it taste better than what’s available in the US) they would go for KitKat? No, it’s only due to a fad and manufactured superstition where you get Sweet Potato KitKat.

• Lauren says:

I’ve tried over 32 flavors of kit kats and I can say honestly they all taste different, and none tasted like original kit kats, yes Japan has amazing cake shops, I’ve seen them but a main reason for that is that ovens are quite rare and everything is cooked in a microwave so buying a cake is much easier.

23. c.m.devarajan says:

just give it to them for being so innovative. i wonder if i could be kucky enough to indulge in these special flavours.

24. Australian says:

Ah, I tried baked potato, corn, red bean, strawberries and green tea.

Hated all of them besides strawberries and red bean.

25. Stefan says:

We had the blood oranges ones some years ago, around Halloween. You could only get them from vending machines though and we do not have many vending machines in Germany.

I love everything with green tea in it. I tasted some matcha chocolates, but not Kit-Kat.

By the way, the last picture does not fit the flavor. You posted pineapple twice.

26. Sarah says:

They’ve just come out with a Raspberry & Passion Fruit one that’s absolutely delicious.

I’m also a fan of the apple carrot one, which luckily tasted more like apple than carrot, the caramel pudding one and the milk coffee one.

27. Nihongo Inclined says:

So in Japan Kit-Kat is pronounced Kitto Katsu.
    This means “I’ll certainly win!” in Japanese.

Hence these became kind of a good luck or encouragement present, hence their crazy popularity.

28. freedomwv says:

Good luck can taste real good sometimes.

29. Chris says:

Think about this. When the first guy put ketchup on a hamburger; did people think it was weird

30. CuBert02 says:

Aw man, was over in September, so many flavors! Apple and Carrot were the best! So weird, yet so good.

31. Heather Morton says:

I am in Okinawa. Does anyone know where I can buy these??

32. zach says:

there was Soy Sauce flavor when I was in Japan late last year. surprised it didn’t make the list.

33. Bob Ungar says:

Went to Japan someone told me you had Kit Kat with Soy Sauce. Is that true?

34. [...] that appetizing to me, but after reading about Top Ten Weird and Bizarre Japanese Soft Drinks, the 18 Kit-Kat Flavors You’ve (Probably) Never Tried and Japan is King of weird ice cream flavors?!, it’s probably not that [...]

35. [...] are already a large number of Japanese Kit-Kat related articles on the web with photos, including: “kit-kat-flavors-from-around-the-world” “japans-strangest-kit-kat-flavors” and this great Flickr set with 100 different [...]

36. Kai says:

Macha flavored Kit Kats are delicious! Loved them while I was there. Course, I had at least 1 Macha flavored item every day there xD

37. lyricmezzosoprano says:

“Milk and red bean filling with green tea coating:”

… LOOKS JUST LIKE PINEAPPLE KITKAT! :O

38. Candice says:

my connecting flight was in japan last year and they had a limited edition soy sauce flavor

39. Jade says:

I’ve tried all of them plus the Wasabi flavour. They are all really nice.

40. Magpie says:

A friend of mine gave me the green tea and also a cherry blossom. The green tea one was foul! The cherry blossom one was delightful though.

41. [...] you know that Kit-Kat came in so many flavours? I [...]

42. [...] Sweet Potato Kit Kat that came back out, but apparently eating potato-flavored Kit Kat is an anomaly. Oh, those “wacky” Japanese! « « [...]

43. Hayley says:

i would eat all of these, just for the weirdness factor. too bad america sucks too much for weird candy.

44. Andie says:

I’ve tried some of these. I hope I find the chestnut flavor on my next trip to Japan.

Some good ones are the pudding, roasted corn, soy sauce, and wasabi. The soy sauce and wasabi go great together. Sounds gross, but it’s not like having a spoonful of soy sauce and a dollop of wasabi. They taste like candy with a hint of the soy sauce and wasabi flavor after you swallow.

Green tea is probably the most popular. We buy those by the box.

45. Rinko says:

well there;s the miso flavoured kit kat in my place…

46. Alexandra says:

My best friend Tina went to Tokyo with her hubby last year, and they brought me back a few different kinds of the funny Kitkats. She gave me two that weren’t listed here- wasabi and cheesecake. She also brought me the green tea Kitkat.

The wasabi was actually very good. The flavor was mild and went well with the sweetness of the candy wafer. The green tea was also good but didn’t really taste like green tea.

47. [...] Kit Kats that I picked up in Narita on my way to Hawaii. As has been documented all over the internet, Kit Kats markets a dizzying array of flavors in Japan, including Coca-Cola, shoyu, [...]

48. [...] i think these are just really fun. check out a few more wacky flavors here! [...]

49. I’ve been to japan and have seen these different flavored kitkat. I was so amazed of the different flavors of kitkat available there instead of the usual chocolate, white chocolate and strawberry flavors that we see in out local market.

50. Rose says:

The green tea one is actually lovely.

51. Ty says:

I have the sweet potato ones. Very yummy. :)
    I would try all of those flavours.

52. Lollypop says:

Actually just today I tried the green tea and sweet potato. The green tea tasted wierd, but the sweet potato tasted almost like white chocolate. Some of you might be asking why an American girl has tried a Japanese candy. The answer to that is because this past week because of the tsunami a Japanese girl came to live in my city. I got acquainted with her. Since today was her last day here she brought everyone she knew a wierd flavored kit kat. Oh and by the way did you know that they now have a jalepino pepper flavored one. Ps. Sorry about my spelling mistakes.

53. [...] flavors! Like everything else in this silly country (McDonald’s items, ice cream, and even kit-kats), Chu-Hi makes its seasonal rounds. I am totally feeling this April’s nod to the [...]

54. chelle says:

I have tried the coffee kitkats which were good. The apple kitkats smelled more like apple than they tasted of it. The strawberry cranberry ones are pretty yummy but I think my favorite ones so far are the chili pepper kitkats which are dark chocolate with just a lil bit of spiciness from the pepper.

55. Grace says:

I’ve had Japanese Kit-Kats before. They’re actually really good. In fact, whenever I go to a convention (anime or Japanese) out near where I live I always make sure that I get some, and that I buy some for my parents too.

56. Goukaseishi says:

Some interesting flavours. The Yokohama Caramel Kit Kat looks so nice :o). I’ve tried a few of the Green Tea Kit Kat’s which tasted pretty good :o).

57. [...] tried all sorts of weird Kit Kat flavors over the years, though there are plenty more to find (Pineapple Kit Kat? Yes, please!) But I can’t imagine any candy ever topping the [...]

58. Kim says:

The sweet potato Kit Kat is absolutely delicious! I personally love sweet potatoes and I expected this one to be obnoxious….but it was quite tasty. Everyone in the room had one and all of them liked it(there were about 7 people…I was the only one that liked sweet potatoes at all and they all liked it.). The strawberry cheesecake and the ‘flan’ flavors are actually quite good as well. I imagine pumpkin would be good.

59. Lekan says:

This is a result of Kitkat expanding to japan and taking a genocentric approach to the country. Keeping its main features such as the logo but adapting by using various crazy flavours. Just a part of my business studies lads.

60. beingwell says:

Some of the flavors are not tempting at all. But I wouldn’t mind having a free taste! lol! :)

61. Catherine says:

This is one of the reasons Japan is awesome~!

62. Josh says:

I am in Japan at the moment actually. Green Tea Kit Kats are awesome… About 4 years ago I also had Sakura (Cherry Blossom) Kit Kats that were pretty good.

63. Walker says:

Ahhhh!! those flavors are so cool!!
    I tried green tea kit kat and it was sooooooo good!!!

64. Nia says:

Hmm, maybe salted caramel or green tea…but POTATO? PUMPKIN? Kill me now,please.

65. Volvic says:

Green tea? Pineapple? Apple? Pumpkin? Muscat? Red bean? Salt and watermelon? Sea salt caramel? Caramel macchiato? OH MY GOD, WHERE CAN I ORDER THESE? I want to try all of them… :P~ My mouth is watering just looking at this list!

66. Jessica says:

Those only in Japan available green tea flavored kitkats are not available in the states, because there was fish explored in them what is a violation of the food act of 1876