General: Food Network »

Food Network Hits A New Low With Recycled Fast Food Recipes

Ellie Krieger has a bunch of new recipes up on Food Network’s website, featuring meals that are made with BITS AND PIECES OF FAST FOOD MENU ITEMS. Take her Sloppy Joe recipe for example, which is probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen in my life. She urges home cooks to “finely chop the filling of a McDonald’s Big Mac,” saute it in a pot with vegetables, and serve it on the original bun it came with.

It’s then conveniently served with a barf bag instead of a napkin.

elliekriegermac

But wait! There’s more!

She also has recipes teaching us how to make an Asian Chicken Salad with bits of meat picked off fried chicken from a KFC breast/wing meal, and an even more stomach-churning Tortilla Soup made from the fillings of a Taco Bell 1/2-Pound Combo Burrito.

At first, I thought someone hacked into the Food Network’s website and added the recipes, but sadly, they’re real. They’re also featured in this month’s issue of Food Network magazine, where they’re actually referred to as “healthy dinners.” Seriously? Ellie Krieger is the Food Network’s resident DIETITIAN AND NUTRITION EXPERT, and she had the balls to call McDonalds burger patties healthy? That’s pathetic.

What I can’t grasp is why anyone would want to make make Sloppy Joe’s with nasty McDonalds bits when you could just as easily – and more cost effectively – use ground turkey or 93% lean beef. And is it really that hard to grill up a piece of chicken for a salad? Come on now. Even Sandra Lee couldn’t get away with this shit. These recipes aren’t just lazy, they’re stupid. There’s no doubt about it. The Food Network has definitely sunk to a level of repulsion and stupidity previously unknown to man.

Ellie’s Sloppy Joe’s recipe currently has 1 star (out of 5) and 20 negative reviews on Food Network’s website, like this hilarious comment from Al: “Welcome to the Iron Chef trailer park,” he said. “Today’s secret ingredient: Big Mac!!” GAH!!!”

Ain’t that the truth.

—–
UPDATE: A few days after we posted this article, Food Network deleted these disgusting, recycled recipes from their website and replaced them with “normal” recipes that didn’t include fast food menu items. Interesting, eh?

---Ridiculous Food Network Recipe Of The Week: Ellie Krieger’s GLOVE COMPARTMENT SNACK
---Ridiculous Food Network Recipe Of The Week: Ellie Krieger’s Dark Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
---The 5 Most Unappetizing Looking Recipes On FoodNetwork.com
---Ridiculous Food Network Recipe Of The Week: Dried Fruit and Nuts
---RIDICULOUS FOOD NETWORK RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Dark Chocolate As A Snack

1. Stef says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? I thought Ellie was a healthy cooking chef? WTF??

2. spngebobmyhero says:

i got the magazine and read this article. i thought it was totally unreasonable, especially seeing that a big mac cost like $4 and a pound of ground beef would cost about the same, but you get a whole lot more meat.

also, the soup made out of the burrito looks GROSS. Reading the article, it doesn’t sound like she decided this was a good idea, it seemed like food network gave her this challenge and she grudgingly agreed to it.

• Sandra says:

What the phuk is this garbage? Ellie must be getting paid a butt load of money to “create” recipes from fast food items. Wow, FN magazine really scrapes the bottom of the barrel (literally) for recipes.

3. byrdie says:

Marching orders from Doucheman: whatever your recipes on your show, FN stars, dumb it down as far as you can possibly think you can go. Then go down one step further.

4. Wretched says:

I admittedly love fast food, including McDonalds and especially Taco Bell, but this is fucking revolting and embarrassing on so many levels. If you are going out for fast food, chances are you don’t want/like to cook, so what is the point, really? And just imagining the Big Mac sauce mixed into a Sloppy Joe is enough to make me ill. The chicken salad isn’t that bad, but people who frequent KFC are probably the last people to want to make a salad. WTF?

The entire concept is soooo bizarre! Pretty sure Big Macs are made from 80-20 ground beef, each patty is 1/10 lb, so she’s making four sloppy joes with 1/5 lb meat plus beans and veggies. And she says to throw out the middle bun. Yeah, the cost is stupidly prohibitive.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Indeed, a new low.

Ellie Krieger = loss of cred

6. Trini says:

WTF? This is appalling! If Ellie Krieger put her name on this shit just because Food Network TOLD her to, then there’s your sellout right there. Forget Bourdain!

7. annmartina says:

And if I am actually craving a Big Mac, chopping it up and making sloppy joes with it is not going to satisfy that craving. Never mind the idea of stretching a teeny McD fish sandwich to feed 4 people. Awesome comic relief.

8. Busta_91 says:

There’s no way that Ellie Krieger would have done this herself. Not only is it very expensive and unhealthy, this is fucking NASTY. I can almost guarantee that Tuschie put her up to this…

9. george says:

The only reason it got one star is because it’s automatic. You can’t choose anything less.

10. Gypsy says:

WOW. Just wow. So let me get this straight – they think people will take the time to drive to a fast food joint, bring the food home, disassemble it, tinker with it, and reassemble it with added ingredients.

This will never catch on. You go to McDonalds when you’re on the go, or just want to grab a bite to eat (at least that’s been my experience with McD’s & other FF joints).

The altered Big Mac looks gross anyway.

11. boke1 says:

I’m sure Ellie created these abominations under duress. Since no one really watches her killjoy of a show anyway, she’s probably on thin ice at FN and this was their way to show what few viewers she may have that HEY! Ellie is just like us and eats crap! I apologize in advance for my pettiness, but maybe it will help pay for her much needed hair extensions. Can you say Women’s Correctional Facility?

12. Wayfarer says:

Perhaps today is really April 1st.

13. Di says:

I see it and still can’t believe it.
    Why, Ellie?!?

14. Jon McKenzie says:

What? You’ve never heard of White Castle Turkey Stuffing?

15. Scruffy says:

Would it be saved if Paula battered and deep fried it?

16. Gypsy says:

…Basically…it just takes the “fast” out of “fast food”. Ridiculous.

17. christopher lord says:

I like Ellie Krieger.

I admit that, when I saw this, I thought it must be a joke. But what she proved (in my optimistic opinion), was that the garbage that ONE person is eating is only healthy when it is divided many ways and supplemented with real, healthy food. I grant that’s subtext, but I still like her.

What might have made more sense was to have costed out the nutritional value of the meal she actually prepared with one done with the proper ingredients (fresh, not fried chicken), canned non-fat refried beans, fresh tortillas, etc). Of course, the biggest gaffe was that this was their HEALTHY EATING issue, loaded with inappropriate recipes (like Ina’s two-sticks of butter scone recipe which, you know will taste like heaven, and make your hips look like clouds! This issue was the last straw for me.

• Motzi Greps says:

You do realize the butter is spread out across the entire batch of scones, right? Unless you plan on eating the entire batch, I don’t see the continual need to define every cook/chef by one ingredient. This is another example of the continual mis assignment of ingredient ire. One fucking scone isn’t going to ruin your life or sabotage your little diet.

18. Kat in Texas says:

The funny thing is that Ellie has a recipe for Sloppy Joes from 2006, and it received fabulous reviews. And why would you bother making TWO stops, one at Mickey D’s and the other at the market? Just buy everything at the market and make it from scratch. Recycled fast food. Disgusting. Based on the comments she’s receiving, they’ll probably cancel her show.

19. BOO! says:

Lets get all the little Garbage Pail Kids together, dinner is ready!!

20. Freezezzy says:

Next on Food Network: Dumpster Diving Dinners

The new triple-D.

“On this show, the host/chef/whatever makes delicious (lol) meals out of whatever they can find in the dumpsters at local fast food joints.”

Is this where Ellie’s headed?

21. everyone knows how fucking simple it is to make sloppy joes from scratch, right?
    why even bother w/ this monstrosity? it only reinforces my original premise that ellie krieger is a complete and total idiot. dietician and nutritional expert on not. these recipes are damning evidence against that claim.

22. Pam says:

I am speechless. Wow.

23. byrdie says:

I believe that these kind of recipes are the marching orders of FN and Doucheman. Nobody’s show is getting cancelled. These recipes that have either prepackaged or precooked foods is the new trend on FN.

Case in point: this past Sunday, Ina used a grocery store roasted chicken to make skewers of chuck chicken and a chicken sandwich. That is so NOT what Ina does or would do. She’s the freakin queen of roasted chicken. So why would she forsake her beloved and go the the grocery for a store bought chicken. Only because this is what the directive is.

Don’t believe me? Start keeping track of NEW shows and see what store-bought or pre-packaged foods are incorporated in at least one recipe. I’ll put money on 85% of all NEW shows will included this crap.

• Daria says:

I agree Byrdie. I noticed the same thing with Giada at Home, she uses a lot of shortcuts now like using store bought pie shells instead of making her own pastry. It wasn’t this way on Everyday Italian.
      I’m really afraid that all FN shows are going to be one big “semi-homemade” with no real difference between them anymore. God help us.

I’m appalled that Ellie of all people would agree to using unhealthy fast food in a recipe.

FN is selling out more and more, there are even advertisement videos playing on the sidebars of the recipe pages now. Next there will be product placement in the cooking shows.

• oh_come_on says:

Agree Byrdie & Daria, exactly what I said about Ina 1/16:
      WTF. Today Ina used a rotisserie chicken to make the driest looking sate skewers. From Sunny to Ina, was like being in the twilight zone. Every show was about left-overs, one-pot wonders and stretching a dollar. Tuschman’s marching orders? Granted, Ina’s show was a chicken show, but HER using rotisserie was unbelievable.

I swear FN’s morphing into something unrecognizable.

• MMMichelle says:

Yeah, I jumped on board food network because I loved pretentious cooking shows. I want to see how to do everything the hard way, ya know, cook! But everything is becoming “how to slap dinner together so the man and kids will shut up” Blech.

24. kate says:

This is ‘fusion’ at it’s worst, thinly veiled as a means to getting the fast food junkies to adopt healthier eating habits. BUT REALLY…..who will realistically take home their fast food garbage and take the time to cook it into something that just barely resembles a healthy meal??? A McD’s burger is garbage, and can’t possibly be made better even with the addition of vegetables. That’s an insult to the vegetebles. And come on….the concept is vaguely acceptable but my god, the idea of it is so absurd that I can’t help but laugh. And attaching Ellie’s name to it dials down my respect of her quite a bit.

25. Syd says:

I would sooner eat one of Alton Brown’s sardine and avocado sandwiches. And that ain’t fucking happening any time soon.

Seriously, every time I think about this “sandwich”, my stomach lurches a little.

• BOO says:

Hey Syd, wasn’t that tuna/avocado sandwich served up open faced? Holy Shit, now we know what to do with the middle bun!!!!

• Flyingroo says:

Syd, I make and eat these sandwiches – it’s all about the fish one uses. Try the bristling, skinless, boneless, in olive oil, well drained of the oil, they are slightly sweet and not too “fishy”. The avocado provides a bit of creaminess and moisture. Everything on a nice crusty toasted baguette – super-healthy and good.

26. Sarah says:

Once the hacks at FN see how ridiculous this has become and the fact that 90 % of the US population are laughing at them, I’m sure they will try and say it was all a joke.

I wonder if any of their resident flunky chefs/cooks/dieticians would endorse this stupidity.

27. tbennett says:

I agree with FN reaching for good shows. Among some of the worst additions lately is Ina’s ‘Q&A’ section at the end of her show. ‘Dear Ina, I don’t like cilantro, what shall I do?’ ‘Don’t use cilantro, try something else green, like flat leaf parsley!’ Derrr

28. Christy says:

Uh Mah Gaw! That is just revolting. I’m embarrassed that I have actually taken a subscription to the magazine mentioned. I had high hopes. I really did. This is even more disgusting to me then that Big Mac wraps they’re selling now. *puke shiver*.

P.S. When are we going to see a post on that total waste of time/train wreck Worst Cooks in America? Or as my husband and I like to call it, “The Crying-est Cooks in America”. What a disaster.

29. trimi says:

I can’t believe anyone even thought for once that it was a good idea. People who buy crap like Big Macs don’t give a flip over making it into something healthy. The sloppy joes look just as nasty as the original big mac. Hopefully, someone over there will have a lightbulb moment and axe this idea when they see that the recipes are so severely downrated.

30. cupcake says:

Wow… just wow. This is unbelievable. And to think, I actually liked Ellie. I can’t believe she’d sink to this level! It really does sadden me. I used to have FN on TV constantly, and now it’s rare. And it’s going to be come even more rare if they continue this trend of using disgusting fast food and prepackaged items in their recipes. Yuck.

31. JaySticLe says:

This… crap is anything BUT fancy.

32. Aubie says:

Bingo on the 4/1 joke…what day is this? I’m just getting back to normal after the stomach flu and after reading this I think I’m gonna get sick again. And to think I once liked Ellie.

33. LaserLiza says:

Has anyone bothered to tell this woman that http://www.fancyfastfood.com is a HUMOR site? Anyone?

34. dennylou says:

Brainstorm…

I am going to fiddle around with my freezer full of Lean Cuisines to see if I can make a gourmet dinner out of them. Maybe I can sell the idea to FN and get my own show…

35. oh_come_on says:

Just glancing at the photos and not reading the article would make you think Ellie made a ‘healthy’ substitute for the fast food. Lame. What demographic is FN hoping to attract with this sh*t?

36. Teague says:

Well they got me. I’ve long accepted the fact that FN is lame. They have sold out. They have no integrity. The have become stupefied bottom feeders…But this this is just astonishing that they could really go so low as this. Part of me feels that I have to give them credit for finding ways to get lower and lower.

What kind of demographic will consider eating this crap? Or is too so stupid that they take it seriously. They have hordes of people clamoring for some real decent content and this is what they come up with.

I am fairly certain that the people behind the scenes told Krieger to use items from various sponcers and to try to make them ‘healthy’.

Shame on every one in volved.

37. Stephanie says:

Oh my God, this is the most hilarious/disgusting thing to come from FN in so, so long.

I particularly love how the Asian Chicken Salad recipe specifies to get the meal “with corn, coleslaw, and a biscuit.” Ahahaha, so awful.

38. suebee says:

I am shocked and speechless…..

39. Nay says:

How do we convince these cable networks that whoring their best stars out to advertise in the most inappropriate and ridiculous of ways is the fastest way to lose cred, respect and accountability (= viewership and $$?)

I’ve always thought some of the cake challenges were just long commercials for disney, but this is a whole new low… I fear it getting a whole lot worse before it gets better.

40. crisp444 says:

What an absolute abomination of a “healthy” recipe. This can’t be Ellie’s making.

41. Betty Crocker says:

Truly unbelievable. For those of you who have the magazine (I don’t), I have a question: Is there any other context given for these recipes? If there is text that accompanies these abominations, what does it say? They’re unforgivable no matter what, but I’m really curious. Yeah, I understand the idea that one of these fast-food items can feed four people, but did the magazine even make that point?

As someone else pointed out, another irony is that Ellie actually has a “healthy” Sloppy Joe recipe on the FN website, made from scratch of course, with beans added like this one. The ridiculousness of the Big Mac version knows no bounds, including the fact that it calls for you to saute your vegetables–so obviously you could just as easily saute fresh ground beef as well. Not to mention that you’d have to buy a pack of hamburger buns anyway for the other three burgers.

BIG mistake for Ellie and the Food Network. But Ellie hasn’t had any new shows for quite a while, so I don’t know if there even was any talk about renewing her for another season. Does anyone know?

• DippyDog says:

I did have the magazine (it was my last subscription issue) but it is already in the trash. As I recall though there wasn’t much text along with the recipes, just a breakdown of the fat content of the original fast food versus the
      re-do.

Are you SERIOUS?! Ugh…my lunch is coming back up. ‘Scuse me…

43. Jimmy Johnson says:

I wonder if there’s anything in Ellie’s contract that she has to mention McDonald’s, KFC, and Taco Bell. Maybe FN isn’t making enough money from their advertising revenue.

44. Jimmy Johnson says:

Check out http://www.topsecretrecipes.com. It’s a site that reproduces fast food and snack flavors from scratch. Sort of the anti-thesis of using fast food to make meals like Ellie does in this case.

45. Mike says:

Anybody else notice that nowhere in the recipe does she refer to the patties as beef?

46. cupcake says:

Odd that they went to the HEALTH girl to promote their fast food advertisers…
    Really REALLY fucking gross.

47. Eric says:

I was a little bored and read the reviews – I take a little offense to what some of them said.

I mean, I’ve been stoned several times, and there’s still no way I would ever touch this thing. Or the Taco Bell soup.

48. Kate says:

Okay, I’m getting that little vomity thing in the back of my throat.

49. Stephy says:

This looks even worse to me than Sandra Lee’s meatloaf.

“Look…at…THAT..!” :S

50. [...] Food Network hits a new low with recycled fast food recipes (FOOD NETWORK HUMOR) [...]

51. Hakuna Fritatta says:

ellie, where did you lose your way? I’m the first to admit I like an occasional Big Mac, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but I really don’t see the need for something like this. To quote Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally: “why is this necessary in life?”

52. Barb says:

Doesn’t the FN show ads for Ragu, which claims to be healthy for your kids because it provides a full serving of vegetables? The ads don’t mention the double serving of high fructose corn syrup in the disgusting crap. So it’s clear to me that the FN is marketing to stupid people who can’t figure out that you can get better food much cheaper per serving by making it fresh. Maybe Krieger’s feature in the mag is a test of the stupidity of readers, to see if they really are that stupid, or exactly where the bar is. I wonder if the staff placed bets on the number of pro vs. con letters they get….

53. Rachel says:

I’m surprised Ellie is promoting this way of cooking, she’s supposed to be the healthy one. Congrats, Food Network, on sinking to a new low.

54. Shannon says:

But you’re not supposed to *eat* the dishes they make.

55. [...] Krieger, host of Food Network’s Healty Appetite, details how to make sloppy joes and tortilla soup from every day fast food ingredients! Yeah, you read it right. Wow, just [...]

56. flip says:

Hahah… FN took the recipes down! Fortunately, I never closed the tabs in my browser from the other night and can still prove that this garbage actually existed to the wife.

57. [...] the Food Network couldn’t possibly offer anything more random than Ellie Krieger’s recycled fast food recipes, behold Paula Deen’s SNOW ICE [...]

58. dippydog says:

They may have deleted them from the website, but I still have them painfully seared into my memory – and I still have the magazine issue too.

• dippydog says:

I had intended to throw it away but just couldn’t bring myself to throw away the evidence of how far down the FN has gone.