Paula Deen »

The Most Disgusting Paula Deen Recipe Of All Time

Despite the fact that Paula Deen’s refrigerator is loaded with enough butter to choke a horse, I must admit her food usually looks edible – if not mouthwatering.

This one, however, doesn’t.

Behold Paula Deen’s Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole, a heavy contender for one of the worst recipes on the planet. It’s a nasty combination of ham, bananas, bacon, cheese, and potato chips sandwiched between soggy, eggy slices of white bread. And rumor has it that if you can actually swallow one bite down, you’ll instantly get Type II Diabetes.

paula-bananas

The recipe currently has a low 2-star rating on the Food Network’s website, and as usual, some of the comments there are hilarious:

Donna wrote, “this was the most disgusting recipe I have ever made. I was so embarrassed to serve this to guests. They couldn’t even swallow it.” (No shit, Donna! It combines BANANAS AND HAM. You couldn’t figure that one out on your own?!)

Wendy wrote, “Paula, honey, this recipe should be taken off the webpage and never, ever cooked again. It’s NASTY!”

Marian wrote, “It was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. The slimy banana’s, hot at that, were awful. What were you thinking. The people who liked it must be out of their minds or have dead taste buds.”

Connie wrote, “I could not believe how truly bad it was, I actually gagged.”

Anonymous wrote, “Instead of Paula going bananas she went nuts!”

Sorry, Paula. Things aren’t looking good for this recipe. Maybe you should just go back to serving burgers on glazed donuts and call it a day.

[Thanks for the tip, Alex!]

---The Paula Deen Recipe Advisory System
---Epic Paula Deen Recipe Review
---Ridiculous Food Network Product Of The Week: Paula Deen “Recipe Writing Desk”
---Paula Deen Breaks Mid-Recipe To Do Jazzercize With Random Guest
---Dear Paula Deen, Please Stop Selling Your Nasty Pies At Wal-Mart

1. Busta_91 says:

:barf:

• Geo says:

This is true Southern Trash Cooking. I’m waiting for the recipe for Co-Cola Pie. I’m not kidding. I grew up down there. Some of this stuff is too disgusting to even read about, and watching it is even worse. There’s a book titled something like “Southern Trash Cooking” hence my use in this post. I’m looking for it now. My sisters (who do not cook that junk) gave it to me as a laugh, and there were the recipes of my childhood. Co-Cola pie is basically a Coke, Karo syrup, and gelatin mix poured into a Crisco-based baked shell and chilled. Sugar and grease! Yum.

2. KatW says:

This is white trash cooking at its finest. I read each review on the FN site, and they are overwhelmingly negative. The interesting thing is the positive reviews. The people who posted them can’t compose a sentence or spell correctly!!

• bon appetit says:

Those positive reviews were probably written by the Captain and her sons!

• MASCAR-PONAY says:

Did anyone else notice as well, that all the positive reviews are generally at the top of each page? As though we are unable to scroll down?? And, in the case of Aunt (hic, berf) Sandy, the grand majority of positive reviews are posted by “Anonymous”….hmmmmm, now we know what she does when she’s done taping/drinking her show, methinks.

3. CherryRose says:

Most of Paula Deen’s cooking doesn’t appeal to me. I’m not a casserole queen, and she tends to make a lot of dishes that consist of many foods glopped together like the one featured above. Yuck-O! That said, I have used Paula’s “Steak Diane” recipe because it’s rare to see the dish made without heavy cream. It looked awesome when she made it, and I’d say that this is among her best dishes ever.

4. byrdie says:

…now, remind me. How much money does she make on tv as a ‘professional cook’ again??!?…..

Truly boggles the mind.

5. Scruffy says:

One day in Georgia:

“I’m tired from making innocent male chefs uncomfortable with innuendo, ya’ll. Plus my heart rate is through the roof from my bacon-wrapped butter stick on a biscuit for breakfast. And I need to fake-tan and dye my hair an unnatural platinum today too, ya’ll. What, I need a new recipe too? The monkeys chained to typewriters quit? Goodness gracious, can’t an overweight horny hack get some peace and quiet before her arerties clog completely? Jeeves, fetch the ingredient dartboard and come up with a new recipe! Ham and banana casserole? That’s genius, ya’ll! Fill the spa with Crisco and call my boys, mama wants to celebrate!”

• psyinfeld says:

Haha…that’s too good!

• Louise and Moranica says:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, that is nasty. i can’t beleive she would eat that……. i mean, does she expect ANYONE to try that, it looks like someone had Krispy Creme for breakfast and a hamburger for lunch then threw it all up whole. I’d rather have a horse pee into my mouth than eat that sandwich (does it even count for a sandwich?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• byrdie says:

With that in mind, Scruffy, maybe Poopy should be added to the list of producers for ‘Chopped’. Seems as though no matter what’s leftover in the fridge or in the old fruit bowl, she’ll pull something together.

• george says:

That’s not exactly a bad idea. Instead of chef’s we’ve never heard of, pit four t.v. personality cooks against each other!

• Judith says:

I nominate: Paula, Rachael, Guy and Robin.

• Geo says:

Yay! Yes, Guy the peripatetic glutton. How can that man even fit in his car(s)? Been to a few of his raves. Horrible, disgusting food and long lines and crappy service. He’s like the Duncan Hines of the new era – (DH made his name dining out for free, and rewarded with a “fork” rating. Guy, however, just promotes with ads. A scamster is what he reminds me of.

• Sean says:

Or pit the Chopped judges against each other!

• Diane says:

LOL, Scruffy!

• Lizzie says:

You win a shiny new internet, that was wonderful!

• VR says:

HAHAHA…so true..may Gertie the dog contributes a mayonaise recipe or two from time to time….

6. Motzi Greps says:

What would have possessed anyone to make this dish in the first place (Pauler notwithstanding)??!??

It’s obvious they (TFN) are running out of material.

• KatW says:

One reviewer on the FN site summed it up as follows: “The casserole itself is a long known classic – Paula added way too much butter. Ends up greasy. But… adding bananas was just doing something to fit a category. Shame on her – that kind of cooking isn’t down home or even kitchy. It’s just a way to add more recipes to a list that is probably full with ways to cook food. Time to look for a new path without the food looking silly.”

7. Gregg says:

I think that Paula must smoke a lot of weed. A person would have to be pretty roasted to think up stuff like this, much less actually make it.

• MMMichelle says:

Now now! Don’t blame this abortion on pot! Pot only makes us eat a whole bag of soy beans at times. This is very obviously a LSD Elvis induced high. Mush have been tripping with an old LP on and Grandma wandered in the kitchen…

8. teague says:

Are they even try anymore?

9. Gypsy says:

Not one thing sounds appealing in this excuse for a dish. Hot slimy bananas? With cheese? It makes me want to gag.

• Gypsy says:

I like how the little sprig of (mint? is that what it is?) on top is put there to make it look like an actual gourmet dish, when it’s just slimy, gross slop glopped together.

• MMMichelle says:

Oh my various God’s, there is CHEESE as well? Why must cheese be on everything? I love cheese, but 2 pounds per meal is a bit much…

10. Aimee says:

Hamburger on a donut? WTF? I think she ripped off Jim Gaffigan’s bit about the “donut-ham-hamburger”.

11. chefcatt says:

Gross as this look, it doesn’t even touch many of Rachael Ray’s recipes for worst recipe ever.

12. LeeLee says:

I’m still in shock that the viewers who made the dish and complained about it actually made it – why??? Maybe they knew it was bad but had to try it anyway – you know, kinda like someone farting in a room, announcing it, then everybody taking a whiff and agreeing that, yes, you did fart….you know it’s nasty but you want to taste it (or smell it) anyway……………….

• george says:

LMAO!!!!!

• byrdie says:

Kind of gives you an idea of the intelligence level of the avid FN viewer.

• Kelley says:

I can’t stop laughing! ROFLMAO!!!

• Betty Crocker says:

Too funny, LeeLee! Reminds me of a long-running gag on Saturday Night Live many, many years ago, which featured a family whose members were always doing masochistic things and then getting the other ones to do the same thing. Example: Sniffing the cat’s litter box and exclaiming how horrible it smelled, then getting everyone else to smell it and agree on how truly bad it really did smell!

13. zyncooktop says:

The episode with the donut burger is on right now.

• Kelley says:

Wait… that was REAL? I thought it was just Jillian making a funny!

Wow… as you can see I don’t usually watch Paula Deen. Her recipes are WAYYYY too heavy for me.

• Kelley says:

Just so you know, I usually catch up on this website on my Blackberry and the videos don’t show up which is why I had no idea that Jill had posted a vid of the hamburger thing.

• Betty Crocker says:

I just saw the donut burger episode today too. I felt so sorry for that poor woman who was Paula’s guest and had to actually take a bite of that crap. Hope she was paid well.

• Kelley says:

I watched the video and was kind of shocked really: those two faked foodgasm even better than Giada! It was sort of disturbing to watch… :/

• BOO says:

The sad……Pauler didn’t come up with that first! She’s is playing off someone else!

14. trishatrue says:

I agree with LeeLee(except the farting part…), who would make this and expect it to turn out edible? If you are stupid enough to try a hot bananan ham casserole, then you get what you deserve.

15. Barb says:

Donna made this for the first time for guests? What the hell was she thinking?

• Kelley says:

She wasn’t.

• bon appetit says:

That she really hated them?

• Donna says:

Since people seem to want to comment on comments, perhaps I should explain myself: I like bananas and I like ham. For some reason I must have had some sort of brain fart and made it, not for guests (I lied , except they were here visiting) but for my daughter and granddaughters and a contractor who happened to be working that day. They just gagged as did I. It was more than disgusting, it was offensive.
      I notice that besides looking more and more like an Oompa Loompa, Paula is getting in way over her head with her recipes. I wonder why Food Network hasn’t figured out that these personalities, i.e. Rachael, Paula, Guy, etc. have had their day and should be retired. We need people who can actually cook.

16. Di says:

That’s pretty awful.
    The most disgusting thing I saw Paula make and shove into her gob (with a guest!) was super gooey lasagna, which she served between two huge slabs of greasy garlic bread.
    I could not believe my eyes!

17. Jill (not Jillian) says:

So, are those beige chunks in there the bananas? I thought it was ham pieces at first but I think the ham is sliced…..

I laughed more at the reviews where people gave it 5 stars…..WTF????

18. hairball says:

I am a type 2 diabetic. i think one bite would kill me

That is just horrifying. That’s not even something that anybody would think to concoct when they’re starving, snowbound, and haven’t been to the store in a long time. BLECH!

20. LaLa says:

This has to be one of the worst ideas ever! What’s next? Cantaloupe lasagna? Spaghetti and meatballs with blueberries?

21. Ron Skulas says:

Gag a maggot on both recipes! Were these the result of a “truth or dare” game, where she lost?

22. ADITL1979 says:

I wonder if the manatees that choose topics for Family Guy picked the ingredients for this dish…feh…

• FoodieOne says:

Whoa now! Let’s not get crazy. The people at “Family Guy” have way more talent than that!

• Scruffy says:

Well, technically that was South Park’s interpretation of how Family Guy is written.

But the manatees would fit right in line with my ingredient dartboard idea.

Has anyone used the South Park Create-a-Character tool to skewer FN people? I’m now tempted to try.

• Aimee says:

@Scruffy…that’s a great idea! Suggest that to Jill!

23. simpfan says:

It says a lot about a recipe when that donut hamburger seems more appealing…

24. KatW says:

That Brunch Burger video is almost more than I can stand. A hamburger patty, fried egg, and stips of bacon sandwiched between two glazed donuts?!?! As usual, Pauler mixes the hamburger and forms the patties wearing her bling. After taking a big bite, she looks into the camera with a pair of bug eyes and, as usual, tries to talk with her mouth full. Gross. What IS it with FN personalities talking with their mouths full?!?!

• CherryRose says:

Paula and her guest taking bites of the same “burger” is absolutely disgusting!

Paula might have a Botoxed and/or “lifted” face, veneers on her choppers, and silly silver wigs, but that close-up of her hands tells the truth about Pauler’s age.

25. B says:

How Paula Deen is still alive eating her food is our world’s greatest mystery.

26. Mark says:

I watched this yesterday and the only thing I could think or say was “WTF”

27. castle4mom says:

I am usually a Paula Deen fan, but for this one, I have to say I am jumping OFF the bandwagon. ICK!!!

28. AbacoPeach says:

I believe that is the only episode of Paula Deen’s shows that I haven’t seen. I think the name of the episode was “Goin Bananas” or something like that. When I saw the dishes she was preparing which included that cluster f**k of a recipe, I just could not even bring myself to watch it! What in the world was she thinking??!!

29. Specsmachine says:

I saw this the other day at noon… needless to say I skipped lunch that day. She also did Elvis’ fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches on that show, complete with enough powdered sugar and cinnamon to choke a horse. The biggest compliment she could muster up for this so called casserole was, and I quote, “Isn’t that interesting, y’all?” That’s when my gag meter went on high alert.

30. Nancy says:

I just cant get over the fact that people actually tried this dish after reading the recipe…it gives bananas a bad name!!!!!!!

31. Betty Crocker says:

ITA on that one, Nancy, as well as the fact that so many people tried to remake the recipe into something edible by replacing all the major ingredients, like the bananas, bread, and potato chips.

I read all 100 of the recipe reviews that are currently posted on the FN website, and what really cracked me up was the advertisement that was on the top or side of every page I looked at for this recipe: TUMS! Ha ha!

Here’s a quote from my personal favorite of the reviews, from Legacy in Elk Grove, CA: “Like many others, I thought…hey I’ll try it. UGH. My 2 yr old wouldn’t touch it. When I made him try a bite, and asked him if he wanted more he replied, “nope, no, uhuh.” My fiance said I don’t want you to be mad if I throw up, and the first bite I took was ok, so I made a serving, and the more I ate, the more I felt sick.”

32. Stephen says:

Yow! That’s disgusting y’all. Why would anyone look at that and think, now that’s something I gotta make.
    And I haven’t had breakfast yet. Not sure if want to now. BLEAH!

33. Jason Reichert says:

Bad news if you already have Type 2 Diabetes like me….this is instant diabetic shock for us.

34. kross says:

Can she ever take a bite without trying to eat the whole thing in one huge bite and then talk as soon as her mouth is full? Soooo gross!

35. R.U. Cereal says:

Yes Maui, I did see her shove her giant greasy fingers straight in her mouth before putting them back on the burger and giving her guest a bite!!! I would have slapped that shit out of her hands so fast and slapped her in her nasty mouthto boot. Ugh!

36. Lynne says:

The worst part of the donut hamburger one is when she licks her fingers then picks it up and offers it to her friend. Yuck!

37. mascarponay says:

horrifying

38. sara says:

She was trying to equate this to how some people like pineapple on their pizza, but who would think soggy hot bananas would be good in a ham casserole? So gross, I can’t believe anyone made this and served it to guests.

I used to like Paula, but she is one nasty lady now, and she acts like a dumb fool when she’s on shows like Craig Ferguson or the Today Show, even worse than how she is on her own show. And why is her weird hair so blue now? Ugh, what happend to this woman?

39. Susan says:

This is beyond disgusting. And you wonder why so many Americans are getting sick with diabetes? FN should be ashamed for trying to pass off this garbage as a meal.

40. vibha says:

I think she is charming I love her show. you guys are being mean. her cooking isn’t white trash at its finest. she has a great recipe for trail mix, fried ravioli and snow cones. i think that what she makes is high in calories, and a little too non conformist, but it’s not bad. shes quirky and she’s like a cheerleader.

41. Renae says:

I agree, Paula may not make the most healthy of recipes, but she is charming. I like her. I usually pair down her food some, as I’d like to live a little longer. But seriously though, banana and ham? UGH! I can’t even bring myself to make and try it. Just not appealing. :(

42. [...] If he wanted to kill someone, he should have just called Paula Deen and asked her to whip up some Lady’s Brunch burgers. That certainly would have gotten the job [...]

43. [...] banana (no mustard in sight), but still. Eww. Reviews seem to be pretty negative overall. Including this hilarious post at FoodNetworkHumor. Which made me really excited to try our [...]

44. Nikki says:

Really Paula? Passing off a Luther Burger as your own? How low one would sink.