General: Food Network »

New Cooking Channel/Food Network Shows

Today, Scripps Networks announced the new channel line-ups for both the Food Network and the brand new Cooking Network. Sadly, despite the coverage and publicity we provide to the network(s) on a daily basis, Food Network Humor still wasn’t deemed worthy of being sent a copy of the official release. Luckily, it’s all over the internet and we’re able to bring it to you anyway. Though some of the shows sound like FNH parodies (a food truck show with Ty-Flo?!), we guarantee they’re all real and all straight from the horse’s mouth. And by horse, I mean my homegirl Lisa Krueger. And by mouth, I mean keyboard. Whatever. Technicalities. Let’s just take a look at the new crap we’ll all be watching over the next few months!

NEW YORK – April 20, 2010 – All burners are firing at Scripps Networks Interactive in the food category, with Cooking Channel and Food Network unveiling new shows for 2010, it was announced today by Brooke Johnson, president, food category for Scripps Networks Interactive.

COOKING CHANNEL

Cooking Channel, the newest network from Scripps Networks Interactive, will launch May 31st. The network by food people, for food people will feature a diverse lineup with new, original shows including Unique Eats, Foodography, Drink Up, Cook Like an Iron Chef hosted by Michael Symon, and Foodcrafters with Aida Mollenkamp. The network will also feature the U.S. premiere of shows like Food Jammers, Indian Food Made Easy, and Caribbean Food Made Easy.

PRIMETIME:

Unique Eats
Premieres: May 31
Unique Eats spotlights America’s most exciting and revolutionary restaurants, providing the first look and the last word in everything extreme in food today. The locations range from high-end dining rooms to casual neighborhood treasures and even roving eateries with no permanent addresses.
FNH Says: Zzzzzzzzzzz.

DRINK UP!
Premieres: May 31
Happy hour comes to Cooking Channel with Drink Up! hosted by Darryl Robinson, a.k.a. “Dr. Mixologist,” of the Hudson Hotel in New York City. From the first pot still, producing fiery drops of proto-vodka to today’s creative and complex cocktails served by mad-scientist mixologists in sexy lounges, Drink Up! shows viewers how those drinks got into their hands.
FNH Says: Dr. Mixologist? Wait, is he part of Guy Fieri’s entourage?

Foodcrafters
Premieres: May 31
Aida Mollenkamp uncovers the hidden handmade food secrets found across the country. Travelling from coast to coast, she unlocks these culinary treasures and show viewers how to bring them all home.
FNH Says: First, there’s only one L in TRAVELING. Second, she “SHOWS” views, not “SHOW” viewers. Third, isn’t all food handmade? Fourth, this show sounds awful already.

Foodography
Premieres: May 31
Food has shaped the way our culture and world have evolved around us. Hosted by CBS Sunday Morning’s Mo Rocca, Foodography showcases these cultural food themes by taking a look into the past, present, and future of iconic, classic, and trendy foods.
FNH Says: I love Mo Rocca! Hopefully he’ll bring some humor to a show that might otherwise come off as a history lesson.

Food Jammers
Premieres: May 31
Each episode of Food Jammers features a high-impact, low-fi culinary contraption conceived, designed and constructed in the Jammer’s warehouse studio. This tasty, madcap food odyssey satisfies viewers’ cravings for unusual viewing adventures.
FNH Says: This description makes no sense. What sort of contraption? Is it an underwire bra for Aunt Sandy? If not, it probably should be.

DAYTIME:

Spice Goddess
Premieres: May 31
Bal Arneson reveals the power of using fresh, wholesome ingredients to make delicious, simple, everyday Indian meals. In each episode, Bal delves into the world of herbs and spices and show how just a pinch of this and little bit of that can put pizzazz into any dish.
FNH Says: Sorry, Jeffrey Saad. They weren’t looking for a Spice Smuggler. Apparently they were after a Spice GODDESS. See the difference there?

Indian Food Made Easy
Premieres: May 31
Chef and food writer Anjum Anand brings a lighter, fresher approach to classic Indian dishes, making simple, mouth-watering meals. Anjum helps friends and viewers overcome their fears of planning, preparing and making Indian food by guiding them through shopping and dispelling the myths around Indian cuisine.
FNH Says: I hate Indian food. Next!

Cook Like an Iron Chef
Premieres: July
Iron Chef Michael Symon teaches viewers the skills and techniques needed to cook like an Iron Chef! Along the way, Michael is joined by chef challengers and other Iron Chefs who reveal their mysterious methods in tackling secret ingredients.
FNH Says: Do the Iron Chefs really have so many secrets to the point that they need their own show about them? And does anyone care? And if everyone knows the secrets, are they really secrets anymore?

Caribbean Food Made Easy
Premieres: August
Levi Roots travels around the United Kingdom and the Caribbean revealing how delicious Caribbean food can be created at home with easy-to-prepare, mouth-watering recipes using fresh, healthy and readily-available ingredients.
FNH Says: Sounds interesting, mon!

Classic Cooking Block
Premieres: June 1
This block features: Julia Child and Galloping Gourmet. Bon Appetit!
FNH Says: Can’t go wrong with that!

FOOD NETWORK

Food Network features the debut of new primetime series 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, Food Trucks (WT) and Kid in a Candy Store, plus the return of fan-favorites, The Next Iron Chef: Season Three, Works Cooks in America: Season 2 and The Next Food Network Star: Season 7.

PREMIERE PRIMETIME SERIES:

CUPCAKE WARS
Premieres: June 18th at 10pm ET/PT
It’s cupcake vs. cupcake in Food Network’s tastiest competition yet! In each episode, four of the country’s top cupcake bakers face off in a series of challenges testing their creativity, flavors and presentation, vying for the right to present their cupcakes at a major event. They will be judged on taste and presentation, and only one baker will win the gig.
FNH Says: BORING, BORING, BORING. Will Food Network never learn? People hate the competition shows. They’re wretched. And cupcakes are so 2008. AWFUL.

24 HOUR RESTAURANT BATTLE
Premieres: July
Hosted by renowned chef Scott Conant, each episode of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle features dueling teams of aspiring restaurateurs who have 24 hours to conceive, plan and open their own restaurants for one night. Once the doors open, diners will be served along with Scott and a rotating panel of judges representing three areas of expertise: restaurant marketer, restaurant reviewer, and restaurant investor. The winning team receives $10,000 in seed money toward realizing their dream!
FNH Says: So it’s basically the final episode of Hell’s Kitchen, hosted by a guy no one can stand? I’m not convinced this will succeed.

KID IN A CANDY STORE
Premieres: July
Adam Gertler’s mission is to find the best, most outrageous, most innovative, and also most loved sweet treats in the world. Adam travels the United States to visit bakeries, restaurants, food carts, and factories where America’s favorite candies are produced. From wild and wacky twists on traditional favorites like deep fried cupcakes or sweet beet ice cream to the most scrumptious and creative candy, cakes and frozen snacks in the country, this sweet joyride makes viewers feel like a kid again.
FNH Says: I’m an Adam Gertler fan, but this show sounds… horrid, and I don’t know if Adam will be able to save it. Can you say “Unwrapped”?

FOOD TRUCKS (WT)
Premieres: August 15th at 10pm ET/PT
Tyler Florence hosts as seven teams of the country’s best food truck cooks hit the road to sauté their way across America. Each week, the teams that sell the most food in the challenge city race to the next episode, and the losing team drives home. One food truck team comes out on top and wins a $50,000 grand prize!
FNH Says: Maybe this show explains Tyler’s weight gain?

RETURNING FAVORITES:

THE NEXT IRON CHEF: SEASON 3
Premieres: Fall 2010
Kitchen Stadium once again opens its doors to find a new culinary warrior in the sizzling primetime series The Next Iron Chef, hosted by Alton Brown.The reality competition challenges top chefs from around the country in a series of demanding situations, testing their culinary skills and mental toughness for the ultimate prize: to become an Iron Chef.

WORST COOKS IN AMERICA: SEASON 2
Premieres: 1st Quarter 2011
The most hopeless cooks in the country return to compete in the high-stakes elimination series, Worst Cooks in America. Robert Irvine (Dinner: Impossible) joins Anne Burrell as host and competitor to put the recruits through a culinary boot camp they won’t soon forget! At stake for the last two standing is the chance to cook for a panel of esteemed culinary critics and to win the grand prize of $25,000.

THE NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR: SEASON 7
Premieres: 2nd Quarter 2011
Food Network’s number one series, The Next Food Network Star, returns for a seventh season. This season follows new hopefuls competing for the ultimate dream job: his or her own Food Network show. With this coveted prize on the line, the finalists strut their star power and culinary chops for host Bobby Flay and the selection committee to see if they stack up against the competition.

Press release: Scripps

What do you think, FNH? Do any of these sound intriguing to you?

---FIRST LOOK: New Cooking Channel Shows
---New Food Network Shows
---Tons Of Stupid New Shows Coming To The Food Network
---The 5 Worst Shows On Food Network
---FNH REVIEW: Bitchin’ Kitchen On The Cooking Channel

1. Joel says:

Greetings from Canada…

Food Jammers is easily my favourite show on FN Canada.

The show is filmed in Toronto, and it’s basically three anti-hipster hipsters building things to make interesting food, like a taco vending machine, their own coffee roasters, cheese aging caves, maple syrup boilers, etc…

• cloverleaf says:

Is it like a foodie version of Myth Busters? Sounds kind of interesting, but the description is inscrutable.

• Scruffy says:

Sounds like a takeoff of one of the myriad of Discovery shows like Prototype This, Smash Lab, Catch It Keep It, which were all basically Junkyard Wars-inspired.

• SugarPuff says:

Yes, but will Food Jammers be able to create an underwire bra that will finally help out Aunt Sandy?? One that she can tuck her flash into of course…

2. BatGirl says:

Ummm, I bet the Classic Cooking Block will be good. The Indian and Caribbean shows will most likely suck, since the focus is on “Easy”. I’d wish they’d show/teach authentic techniques & ingredients. I can dumb things down all on my own.

The prime time lineup makes me want to die.

I need more Alton Brown (Good Eats Alton, not Iron Chef/Feasting on whatever Alton).

I’m sticking to PBS’s Saturday morning lineup. It’s the best.

3. zach says:

Food Jammers is a great show. The hosts are stoners though, if you can get used to that, they make really interesting stuff. It may not taste good, but the contraption is cool.
    One time they made a dehydrator and dehydrated a whole turkey dinner, the turkey was like wood, but the rest of the stuff rehydrated well, haha.

4. Slowmodem says:

FLN has been showing Iron Chef (Japan) at 11:00 pm and 3:00am EST. I haven’t seen any mention of that. :(

Maybe the withdrawals won’t last long.

5. Maitri says:

Classic cooking – yay! Let’s hope for some Frugal Gourmet.

I too would like some classic Japan Iron Chef, because our shitty cable company doesn’t give us FLN.

So Chef Beau got the boot, eh?

Is Spice Goddess really also an Indian food show?

24 Hour Restaurant Battle sounds like Restaurant Wars on Top Chef, which is a favorite episode every season. I’d watch it. Oh wait, Scott Conant. Mr. I-Hate-Onions-Because-I’m-A-Weird-Freak. Hmm. Maybe I won’t watch…

• Loren says:

Eww, THAT Scott? Definitely not watching now. That guy has issues.

• AbacoPeach says:

I want to jap slap that guy and scream at him, Hey, people eat raw onions! The other judges are eating the same thing as you. Get over it!!! Jerk, you can’t make a negative judgment against someone’s dish b/c YOU don’t like raw onions! I’ll probably watch maybe 5 minutes of it and mainly for the curiosity factor.

• Numb says:

Onions are terrible and frankly are a cure-all for lazy/bad cooks.

• Specsmachine says:

/me laughs at numb completely disregarding mirepoix, the basis for many of the best dishes mankind has ever known. You are a bloody idiot.

• Numb says:

I’m an idiot for disliking a single ingredient? Fascinating. Also, try substituting leeks for onions in your mirepoix and tell me I’m an idiot.

Additionally, the concept of a mirepoix is more about adding a savory backbone to a dish to bring out the flavors in that dish itself rather than making it taste like onions/celery/carrots – and as such it isn’t too offense (though I still do prefer using leeks instead).

• Sara says:

Actually, I’m sort of like Scott in regards to onions. I really don’t like raw onions (I find them very bitter and overpowering) but I really like cooked onions, especially the ones labeled sweet, and use them quite often in my cooking. But I don’t make nearly the fuss that he does and generally I call him a big baby. I mean, dude–pick ‘em off and eat the rest of it. People do. When I share a pizza that the others have requested raw red onions on, I just pick off the onions and eat the rest. It’s not hard. My kindergarteners are less picky than you.

• Numb says:

I’m actually not very picky at all, and have absolutely no issue eating most things that others would not (pretty much any part of the animal kingdom is fair game) – it so happens that the item I do dislike is an extremely common ingredient.

• Sara says:

Oh, good heavens, Numb, did you think I was talking to you? I was talking about SCOTT being a baby and being picky! I have no way of knowing what your food habits are like, and I would never be that rude to you anyway. Sorry for any confusion. But just to be clear: all of my previous comments were directed at Mr. Conant.

• CherryRose says:

“24 Hour Restaurant Battle sounds like Restaurant Wars on Top Chef”

Food Network filmed a pilot of “Food Feud” with Michael Symon in Detroit not long after the Travel Channel’s “Food Wars”. Both shows will feature Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island in the Motor City. TC’s episode airs May 11.

• Peaches says:

Jillian – Wasn’t there a similar show (albeit not a 24-hour turnaround) a few years back? Based in Canada, I think, where “failing” restaurants were resuscitated? Menu and environment were both improved. I liked that show.

6. B Morgan says:

Haven’t we seen Foodcrafters before? Reincarnation of a show a Sandra somebody did 5/6 years ago. How is this different from the same show the Deen Brothers and the Neeleys did a few seasons ago. Too many redos or reruns if you will.

7. Robert says:

I’m looking forward to Next Food Network Star. But, I drink more than Sandra Lee.
    I need to be in a program somewhere…

8. Robert says:

“Classic Cooking” — sounds like they needed to fill time and only had access to royalty free programming.

9. Syd says:

Lisa Krueger still has a job?

10. Mike says:

You hate Indian food?

You’ll curry no love from the network.

11. bon appetit says:

I’m thinking Robert Irvine will make the “ccoks” on his team cry at the drop of a hat.

• Mike says:

I don’t know. Robert Irvine actually seems pretty chill on every show except Dinner Impossible, where he has to be a drama machine or else people might actually finish the stuff ahead of time. I remember him being on Iron Chef America (him and Tyler against Cat and Paula) and he was just playing around while Tyler seemed to be concentrating more on the actual cooking. And of course Paula was just going around flirting with the guys and cackling every minute or so.

He just does whatever is expected of him. I doubt he complains much, especially after the whole debacle concerning his actual credentials and experiences.

• i.chef says:

Robert had to have been hired for his Dinner: Impossible drill-sergeant persona. He’s obviously going to intimidate everyone and overreact to everything. This show could be so good if it actually cared about making the bad cooks into good cooks instead of forcing them to make them do shit they obviously can’t.

• Teague says:

I can’t believe that nutcase Irivne still has a job. But then again we’re talking about FN. No doubt he works cheep

It’s hard to respect a guy(ego maniac) who has such serious self esteem and emotional issues going on.

• Motzi Greps says:

OMG, Robert Irvine is a douche!

12. Automne says:

A good chunk of these are still recycled ideas. Foodcrafters = Food Finds (I miss that show, I liked it).

Secrets of an Iron Chef = Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. Unless the former is going to show how to create several convoluted dishes in a one-hour timespan, which would be useless because how many of us require such a skill?

13. bon appetit says:

Oops, I meant “cooks”, that could have been a really bad mispelling!

14. Cindy says:

I love Food Jammers! It currently airs on a channel called Halogen. They take a food and think of a way recreate it themselves by building a machine or method. One show was based on Indian food and they used a wheel of choices to determine the amounts of various spices to add. Another was about pizza and they built a stone pizza oven and came up with ways to create 3 dimensional pizza shapes such as a dome and cube. They also brewed their own hard cider with a homemade apple grinder and press. Homemade cheese cave, cheese puffs, puffed grain cereal, dehydrating a full turkey dinner, windpower from their roof to grind grain, solar cooking, baking pies in a wood fired oven while adrfift on a raft (pie-rates)Their recipes are probably ok, but certainly would not use their methods. I just love hearing canadians say “ay”. I hope there are new episodes because obviously I’ve seen them all!

15. Kristen says:

Maybe if we all boycott every show except the Julia Child classics, Scripps will get the hint!

16. Goober says:

I don’t understand why they crated a Cooking Network when most of these shows don’t seem to deal with cooking. They belong on the more broadly titled Food Network. I would have thought the shows on the new channel would try to get back to the Food TV roots with more instruction and less spiked, bleached hair.

17. Cathy says:

They were advertising a show called “Spice and Easy” (siigh…word-play makes me tired.) that felt new and exciting but now I see they’re going to have TWO spice-themed shows? Yikes.. there’s only so much you can do with a damn vanilla bean people.

18. Busta_91 says:

Don’t they kind of need to release the information for THIS season of TNFNS before they start yakking about next year’s show? It’s late April and we still don’t know who we’re supposed to hate yet!

• Mike says:

That would destroy the suspense. Since you bring up TNFNS, this year I can picture them bringing in Melissa as a guest judge and have her diss the contestants for choppy movements, talking about their spouses from other countries, and use of bacon. Or maybe bringing in Debbie Lee to talk about the importance of integrity and being Korean.

• Alex says:

Oh yes, that reminds me of the time Tuschie told the contestants to find different adjectives to use. I was rolling on the floor after he said that. Does he not watch the shit currently on his network?

• cloverleaf says:

How come no one ever says “awesome?” Bwahahahahahahahahaha! ;^)

• Hakuna Fritatta says:

Yawn. Like I care. I’m sure I won’t be watching.

• Sarah says:

I hope they have a Korean girl competing on NFNS.

19. Alex says:

Ah, just more justification to CHANGE THE CHANNEL. I’m going to make a batch of “IMPEACH TUSCHMAN” bumper stickers.

20. APK says:

C’mon, you can’t much fun of grammar and typos when you make them yourself. “Travelling” is generally accepted, though more commonly used in Great Britain. “Second, she “SHOWS” views, not “SHOW” viewers.” Really?

21. mh275 says:

No beau for Worst cooks 2?? How sad? Who is he gonna berate now in a baaaston accent?? Now its the bald guy vs Annes hair! Which is bigger Robert irvines”guns” or annes head???

22. Mike says:

I briefly watched 24 Hour Restaurant Battle and Cupcake Wars when they were pilots (along with Private Chefs of Beverly Hills) back in late December, early January. I always thought they were trying out new shows, seeing which one got the highest ratings, and the winning show gets to shoot more episodes. I guess not. The Restaurant Battle and Cupcake Wars seem more like they should be 2 or 3 episodes within Food Network Challenge, not an actual show of their own… But whatever.

It seems kind of stupid to give shows to whoever and for whatever concept, replay the same episode of every hour long competition show 2 to 4 times a week, and then expand FN to another channel citing that there are only 24 hours in a day and food show demand is high. Oh well.

• Meg says:

Somebody tell FN there are indeed 24 hours a day BUT if they have 2 hours of original shit in that 24 hours, it would be phenominal. Our local programming (or FN?) repeats the same BS on a 3-hour revoving basis on FN Night Time. They sign off at 3 AM for infomercials and start again at 9 AM. That’s a LOT of reruns. And doesn’t nearly add up to 24 hours of programming.

23. Ferd Berfle says:

The food truck show concept is beyond suck. Maybe they could drive around Canada in the winter, and call it “Ice Road Food Truck.”

24. Teague says:

I have heard good things about Levi Root. Apparently he is quite and interesting character. So as much as I hate to say it I’ll have to tune in for that one.

Jeffery Saad got the boot for what I imagine is some I candy.

Basically Adam Garter(whatever his name is) has been given Unwrapped. And ask Aida is flowing the well worn path of a few seasons in the studio then one takes the show in the road.

And good yet more shows about cake!!

25. Spatuler says:

Jackpot! My dreams of having more crap television programming to choose from are finally coming true. I see that there are a couple of ethnic themed shows, Caribbean and Indian. But, I don’t think that I’ve ever woke up one morning and wondered how I could recreate the pile of shit I ate at the Indian restaurant the night before. Ever. It’s kind of disappointing that there aren’t any Asian inspired shows though. I’m a bit partial to Ming Tsai and it would be nice to see him actually get paid to star in a TV cooking show for a change. Love ya PBS! Then there’s Martin Yan, but I think he might be a bit of a whack-job.

• Mike says:

I think they did have an Asian Food Made Easy or something as part of the lineup originally. Not sure if it was left off the list or got canceled or something.

As for Martin Yan, I have had a low opinion of him ever sense my brother got a Martin Yan endorsed rice cooker that couldn’t cook rice. Many members of my family tried to get it to work but failed.

• Shayla says:

Ming Tsai had a cooking show on Food Network already, from 1998 to 2003. It was called “East Meets West.” It was awesome and won an Emmy, which of course means that he’ll never be back.

• Spatuler says:

Mike, Shayla and Alex: I am always amazed at how knowledgeable the FNH commentors are. Very impressive. I didn’t start watching FN until about 3 years ago, so, I’m a bit behind. Plus, I just watch other stations more often. Mike, I’ve found that good rice cookers are hard to find unless you go to an Asian supply store. I aquired my rice cooker and hot-water kettle from a dear friend, who happens to be Chinese. I mean, the instructions for both products, in English, are hard to understand, THAT’S when you know you have a great rice steamer & kettle, from my experience.

• Mike says:

Hello Spatuler. Thanks for the compliment. As for the good rice cooker, I actually am Taiwanese, so I got an old one from my mom (that sounds like stereotyping but whatever). It works fairly well. Then again, I am not too picky about food texture and whatnot so I do not need to deal with any nuances of rice cooking. Thanks for telling me that I should just stick to doing any future rice cooker shopping in Asian markets! This old one could explode on me any minute now.

It was actually my older brother, who usually does not cook and thus denied my mother’s ancient rice cooker, who needed a rice cooker and chose the one with Martin Yan (the only chef he knew) on it. The instructions were useless and the rice just did not get cooked. I have no idea where it is now. This was way back around 2000 or so, so things may have changed.

• Spatuler says:

Mike :) You’re Taiwanese! Taiwan is where my Chinese friend lives right now. Taipei. And yes, that is where I got my rice cookers from…his mom! It IS a stereotype, but it is quite frequently, a fact. It’s just a cultural thing. No big deal. Yeah, those instructions that come with the rice cookers are usually in Mandarin, Korean and Japanese. And the English part is so horribly translated that you KNOW that the product was meant for those who know what the hell they’re doing, and not for Westerners. So, you know it’s a great steamer or kettle.

I hope you finally get a decent rice cooker/steamer. They’re invaluable!

• Mike says:

He gave his mom’s rice cooker away? Blasphemy! But at least you got a good deal out of it. :)

In all honesty, the manual for my rice cooker is pretty horrid in its Mandarin form. My aunt tells me that many manual writers in Taiwan write how the equipment works from memory as opposed to writing each step down as they do it, so the wording is not very precise. That coupled with a horrible translation of these instructions probably leads to your English manual. So yeah, most of my rice cooking knowledge comes from good ol’ mom (also a traditional thing).

• cloverleaf says:

What a great conversation this is!! I have two rice cookers; one that I bought in West Los Angeles’ J-Town in 1982, and a larger one for big parties that I purchased from Costco about 17 years ago. Both were made by National. They are aluminum, not non-stick. I love them! :)

• Mike says:

Thanks Cloverleaf! I will keep that brand in mind. For the record, my rice cooker is a Tatung and around 20 years of age. It works fairly well, but it has seen better days.

• Spatuler says:

lol, Mike, he did NOT give his mom’s rice cookers away. She handed one down to him and then when he moved to Taiwan, he gave it to me; as well as a kettle. They always had like three cookers going 24/7 at the office. They were in NO shortage, trust me.

omg, your description of why the manuals are like they are, makes everything SO clear. Now, I understand why they are that way, and it makes total sense. I think I kinda knew that, but it helps to hear it from someone who has first-hand knowledge.

Yeah, my mom made everything out of a box or can, so I always find it impressive when I hear that someone has learned a cooking skill from their mom. And you know I’m right when I say that rice isn’t as easy to make as it seems. It has to be just right. And the rice cookers seem to help quite a bit. Tradition is great!

• Mike says:

Good to know that that particular rice cooker (and kettle) found a good home. And yes, good rice cookers make cooking decent rice much easier. At least you do not need to worry about being the generation that has no culinary skills to impart upon the younguns. :)

26. Betty Crocker says:

The only thing here that would make me even think of shelling out all that extra money for this “premium” channel would be the reruns of the original (1970s) Galloping Gourmet series in the Classic Cooking Block. Seriously, as far as I know, you can’t find that ANYWHERE, because I have tried. But nah, I’ll just ask someone to record it for me. I love Julia Child, to be sure, but her shows are available on DVD and are aired occasionally on PBS.

I love Indian food, but after what Food Network did to “Mexican” and “Latin American” food, I highly doubt they’ll do any better with this.

What happened to Alton Brown doing a show about food history, which was posted here months ago? I guess that became Mo Rocca’s “Foodography”? Could be good, but I fear it will be just another version of “Unwrapped,” “The Secret Life of,” et al., on steroids.

“Cupcake Wars”? Are you fucking kidding me? After the thousands of complaints (including mine) here about not wanting to see one more cake-related competition EVER? Way to listen to your viewers, Food Network.

27. BJCG says:

I love Indian food. I’m totally excited about it. Food Jammers sounds (from what I hear in the comments section, anyway) interesting.

• Spatuler says:

Yes, BJCG, you sound like you’re totally off the chain, excited about it. We might just have to taser you if you don’t settle down.

28. Ms Gypsy says:

A technical point: “travelling” is the correct spelling British-style. Which seems lame given that the network and shows are American. And it doesn’t explain the additional errors in spelling and grammar, nor does it male many of those shows sound appealing.

I pin a lot of my hope on Adam Gertler. Poor Adam has his work cut out for him!

29. Barb says:

What’s up with the Indian food hating? That’s crazy talk. Indian food is so diverse, anyone can find something they like. Of course, you need to find a good restaurant or recipes first. And I’m sure the FN folks will butcher it.

Last meal request: Chicken Xacuti from Kabab and Curry in Providence, RI. And some garlic and cilantro naan and raita. Oh, don’t forget the lamb samaosas for a starter or I’ll raise a ruckus when you try hooking me up to the electrodes. And the mixed pickle. And a glass or two of nice red wine. OK, you can kill me now.

• Alex says:

I love a a good lamb vindaloo, or a chana masala, chicken makhni or tikka masala. Right on with the naan and raita. Indian food is amazing.

• cloverleaf says:

I agree, Barb. Indian food is amazingly varied. I would love to have some paneer right now! And like Alex said, naan and raita! Maddhur Jaffrey has had some wonderful shows about India’s various food traditions on PBS.

30. Andra says:

The lineup looks surprisingly good. A classic block sounds amazing, I grew up on PBS reruns of Galloping Gourmet and Julia. I’m mad about Indian food so hopefully the shows will be of some use.

Did you forget to mention Brunch with Booby? Booby Flay’s new show, yawn.

• Mike says:

A lot of shows seemed to have not made this press release. I think Emeril will have a new show. And, Rachael Ray was listed as having “Week in a Day” a while back, because aside from her beautiful voice, she can also contract time.

• Hakuna Fritatta says:

didn’t FN ditch Emeril and he headed to PBS?

• Mike says:

I know Emeril (and many others) were not happy with FN in the early 2000s. But it seemed like Essence of Emeril lasted until at least 2008, which is much later than when FN started purging itself of all the old players (Mario, Sara, Ming etc.)… Regardless, Emeril is still considered an FN star and apparently has been given a new show on the Cooking Channel. Along with Bobby and Rachael of course.

• oh_come_on says:

‘Brunch with Booby’ LOL Will this include the ‘adorable’ banter with his wife, and shirts to show off his man boobs?

• Teague says:

Yeah I was wondering where the show with Booby Fay’s name in the title was. They have to have one every season.

31. The Watcher says:

“Travelling” is a word, maybe not the word the network is looking for.

Look it up on the net, it may explain what they really think of Aida.

32. Sean says:

Has anyone else noticed the new FN promos of Aaron McCargoe Jr’s new show? I think I’d rather be in charge of putting the gel in Anne Burrell’s hair than watch that crap!

33. Freezezzy says:

The only way “Cupcake Wars” could be interesting is if the cupcakes are actually flying.

About “24 Hour Restaurant battle”: 24 hours just means more time for stuff to go wrong, break down, or just plain not work. Just like on every other challenge-type show on Food Network now.

Next Iron Chef? Again? What about the last next Iron Chef? Did we forget about him already?

Ugh!

• Motzi Greps says:

Yeah, there’s definitely something suspicious and “not quite right” about the disappearance of Garces. WTF.

As for this lineup–I think it’s wonderful fodder for all of us here @ FNH! If I were Jillian, I’d be wettin’ my shorts!

• Sara says:

How many Iron Chefs do they NEED, anyway???

34. Teague says:

I don’t know if it is a good idea for them to do an Indian cooking show. Let be honest They’ll find a way to screw the recipes it up or find some idiotic host like and then what? Well then they’ll have over a billion additional people pissed at them and this board will be really crowded.

• oh_come_on says:

Teague, you’re so right. We loathe(d) Touschman’s 1st and 2nd attempts at ‘so easy a housewife can cook it’ French food (a la Amy Finley and Melissa D’ingdong).

35. Specsmachine says:

I admit I watched “The Next Food Network Star” and “The Next Iron Chef.” I even watched “The Worst Cooks in America” even though it was difficult and I intentionally missed an episode or two. Problem is with all of those shows, I don’t give a shit about the person after they win. The only interesting part is the build up, then all of a sudden you are stuck with Aaron McCargo Jr. having a show.
    As far as Adam Gertler, YIKES he’s annoying. He tries too hard to be cute and funny and it just ain’t workin.’ Why they keep trying to give him a show I’ll never know.
    Food Network has really been dropping the ball these past few years.

• Motzi Greps says:

Agreed that Gertler is a mindless hack. Why did he come in 3rd place and then TFN continues to use him as if he actually won? Am I missing something? Oh, and he suX anyway.

• Ann I Ball says:

I know why you don’t care about the winner; it’s b/c FN doesn’t care who wins. They don’t even care who gets into the competition in the first place, as long as he/she is a fame whore.

This channel makes more money on the competition shows than on the “stars” afterwards. That’s why you’ve got lame shows that do not teach cooking and why they are putting more time into competitive TV with some vague reference to food.

36. cookie says:

Thank God that Food Network isn’t showing cooking instruction. Whew!

Why oh why can’t they actually have a show, on either channel, about baking. I want to see new and cute recipes. RECIPES.

And I really honestly think they ought to just show an hour of pie fights. That might actually be fun for a change.

37. bigjobsboard says:

Oh. I will definitely watch these shows. Thanks for posting this information. Thanks.

38. Actually if you watch Unwrapped you’ll see how much food isn’t handmade. But I am probably the only one completely sucked into watching hours upon hours of machines doling out “food.” lol

• Ann I Ball says:

When I saw how some potato chip was extruded out of a machine, I wanted to barf. :)

I used to watch Unwrapped a lot when it first came on; it reminded me of the “trips” Mr. Rogers would go on to show how orange juice made it from the grove to your table, etc.

Then all the machines began to look alike. I began to notice that I could figure out how they make the thing before they would show it.

• Robb says:

Yeah I was going to comment on that. Saying all food is hand-made is a mind boggling statement.

39. Taz says:

See the ad for “Spice & Easy”? Is that another slap in the face for Jeffrey Saad?

• oh_come_on says:

Guess Jeffrey lost out to a person with boobs and her own spice shop. You saw the promo — the lady’s dancing and squealing over her food, like Giada. Please…just what FN needs, another ridiculous ‘personality.’

• Ina Garten DaVida says:

Damn, doesn’t it piss you off still that Jeffrey’s concept lost out to Ms. Potato “torte” $10 dinner?

If they can do that concept on the new channel (and if my cable carries it as part of the basic lineup), I’m there.

• Lizzie says:

I’m going to give Spice & Easy a chance. I just hope it’s actually informative because I am so tired of constant competition, “reality” and shows with regurgitated crappy recipes from over-the-top “personalities” from what was once an excellent channel for instructional cooking shows.

I miss the old Food Network but also realize it won’t be coming back anytime soon.

40. Chickety China, the Chinese Chicken says:

Hooray for the indian food show and for snagging Mo Rocca, but the rest of it, eh. Sounds like they will run out of programming right quick.

41. Daria says:

Looks interesting, I’ll definitely give the new channel a try if I don’t have to pay extra for it. Finally they are planning some different cultural cooking shows which is what I’ve seen a lot of people on this website asking for.

I love Indian food so I hope the show doesn’t suck. Anjum Anand has had cooking shows in Britan and she is pretty! Hey at least it is not Nipa Blatt!!

And yeah if I was Jeffrey Saad I’d be pissed.

I see that ALL the new FN shows are reality TV crap, so it looks like goodbye FN, hello new cooking channel.

• Numb says:

Wow, I just googled Anjum Anand and I have to disagree – she is hideous. She looks like a river troll, albeit a river troll in nice hair in makeup.

• Hakuna Fritatta says:

I have a book of southern Indian cooking. Man, you need a shitload of spices to make it.

42. whatdidanneburrelljustsay? says:

I am sorry FNH, you like Mo Rocca?! How could you? Have you seen him on Iron Chef? He has Dad humor! He his humor is only good to people that have already have three kids, have no sex life, and find their wife of at least twenty years physically revolting!

Honestly, most of these sound shiteous in the extreme. I wonder if Aunt Sandy was crushed that she didn’t get to host Drink Up? That certainly sounds like her cup of tea….liberally laced with whiskey.
    Seriously? ‘Cupcake Wars’? Yeah, THAT won’t get old quick.
    And what’s with all the Indian food shows? I don’t like the cuisine either, so none of those sound good.
    Food Jammers — besides sounding vaguely dirty, conjures up images of sweaty slacker dudes doing stuff like cracking walnuts in their butt cracks. I think I’ll pass, thanks.

44. I wish I could catch the new wave of trendiness and change my username to “Cupcake.”
    Or “Guy Fiero.”

Sigh.
    Please pass the mustard and the remote.

45. kelpie says:

So it sounds like the Indian Food Made Easy is the old show from bbc. Actually informative. First couple episodes are up on google video.

I really hope they are just rerunning the show, not remaking. Indian food is delicious.

46. Charlotte says:

Anyone else think that the classic cooking block should include “Two Fat Ladies”? Miss those saucy gals!

47. JillS says:

Worst Cooks in America 2? Again!!?? They cared more about casting people who dressed funny/odd then people who actually NEED help on how to cook. I don’t need to see another cast of rockabilly girls in shredded tights or a nerd with over sized glasses.

48. Slowmodem says:

Saw this today about the next “star”:

Where do they find these people? Prisons? Geeze.

49. Amy says:

50. Student says:

Um sorry, too drunk to read all those llllengthy descriptiond=s
    - Sandeee and Student

51. Student says:

I lllllove drunk posting!!!!

52. candi cane says:

I personally have wished FOR YEARS that someone would start showing classic “Galloping Gourmet” episoodes again. That is what made me a foodie at age 6….the best EVER!!!

And why the heck did “Paula’s Party” get moved to 3am???
    It’s no naughtier than Giada’s “food porn/Cleavage-Fest”!
    …and A LOT FUNNIER!!

53. Mack Arony says:

Why does everyone think that Jeffery Saad should have won? When in competition and paired with a fellow partner, he hogged the entire presentation in front of the camera and didn’t let his partner speak to deliver her presentation. It seemed to me that he already had the Tyler Florence ego “me me me” syndrome down pat. Who needed another one?

54. Ken says:

Of all these shows I look forward to “Classic Cooking Block” the most. I also hope they include some of the late, great TVFN shows from the 90′s, namely: “Taste” (with David Rosengarten) and “Too Hot Tamales”. “Taste” was my favorite Food Network show by far.

55. Dorinda Saunders says:

I would to see the new show, but cable provider has said they don’t nothing the new channel, My cable provider is Comcast in Ohio. I was wondering if the channekl will be broadcast in Eastern part of Ohio and near Pittsburgh, PA. I enjoy watching the food network. I don’t care for the Iron Chef seris, and to much of Bobby Flay. Would you please me if this channel will be coming to area. Thank you very much.

56. Jammer says:

On the shows of Food TV, like what you like and be happy. Although I can’t believe they have a show about Cupcakes like Cupcake Wars and I’m so tired of the competition shows on Food TV, to each is or her own.

57. Jammer says:

Again, to each his or her own and I support and love us all as people.

For me, I’m so tired of watching the Cake shows on tv too.

Thanks Rf

58. becket says:

Food Jammers is the absolutely THE most STUNNINGLY ridiculous POS I’ve personally ever seen on TV.

Stoner hippies making home made cough drops?

Give me a break. Stupid to the point of being painful.

59. [...] Food Network Humor » New Cooking Channel/Food Network Shows апрель 2010 NEW YORK – April 20, 2010 – All burners are firing at Scripps Networks [...]

60. [...] Food Network Humor » New Cooking Channel/Food Network Shows апрель 2010 The network will also feature the U.S. premiere of shows like Food Jammers, [...]