Sandra Lee »

Sandra Lee’s “Other” Abomination: The Hanukkah Cake

We’ve all heard of the Kwanzaa Cake, but did you know Sandra Lee also has another cakewreck that’s just as cringe-worthy? Ladies and gentlemen… behold THE HANUKKAH CAKE – which currently boasts a one-star rating on Food Network’s website.

sandra lee hanukkah cake

sandra lee hanukkah cake

You’re looking at a store-bought angel food cake with marshmallows crammed in the center, that was then murdered with blue frosting and adorned with tacky, inedible faux pearls and wires. We understand it’s terrifying, so look away if you must.

Is this woman even Semi-Sane? That Star of David looks like something an infant could have pieced together while still in the womb, and the pearls don’t say “light the menorah” half as much as they scream “we just fell off of Winona Judd’s favorite blazer.”

sandra lee hanukkah cake

Aside from it being HIDEOUS, it’s not even Kosher! Several of our Jewish readers wrote in to tell us that while Kosher marshmallows and cans of frosting are available, they were disappointed because Sandra didn’t specifically require (let alone even mention) them in her list of ingredients.

And if all that’s still not enough, perhaps FNH reader Linda said it best:

sandra lee hanukkah cake

Finally, here’s a video of her making it. Watch it, if you dare.

---Sandra Lee’s “Noel Cake”
---Sandra Lee’s Semi-Homemade Wedding Cake
---Origins Of Sandra Lee’s Horrifying Kwanzaa Cake
---You’ve Got Questions, We’ve Got Sarcasm
---Buddy Valastro Finally Wins A Food Network Cake Challenge

1. old unkajoe says:

Oy vey!

2. Chris says:

that cake is so bad i can’t even think of anything funny to say about – maybe “can you hold my hair back while i puke before even eating it?”

3. upar243 says:

I almost vomited as she was frosting that cake.

4. Bianca says:

I don’t get how her show is called “semi-homemade”. She used a store bought angel food cake and store bought icing. Anyone with half a brain can buy an angel food cake and slap some icing on it for a cake. More like lets get some items from the food store and combine them at home so I can claim that it is homemade! Sandra sandra…

• Laura says:

Ahh, but would the average person with half a brian think to add the marshmellows? There’s the semi ho-made part.
      I normally foam at the mouth when I see cake, but this one is a real turn off, even for me.

• Polly says:

That’s her target audience: the people with less than half a brain. There is certainly no shortage of that demographic.

5. Roger says:

I have a little dreidel
    I made it out of pork
    And when it’s dry and crusty
    I shall eat it with a spork!

[You know she probably considered it.]

6. I’m one of Teh Eeeeevil Jooooooooooos.

Throughout my 52 years on this planet, I’ve never heard of a specific cake for the holiday I like to call “Chakakhan”.

Closest thing to something ‘official’ would be the traditional honey cake.

7. Maria says:

Am I missing the significant relationship between marshmallows and Hanukkah? Wait, don’t tell me; does it have something to do with the Festival of Lights? Lights… fire… marshmallows… smores? Wow, I totally get it! It makes as much sense as corn nuts and Kwanzaa.

This woman is truly a marvel.

8. cowpoke says:

Well, I think it’s safe to say that Sandra Lee has offended pretty much everyone everywhere at this point. She also converted to the Jewish faith to marry her filthy rich husband so shouldn’t she know better? It seems she faked her way through changing her religion like she does everything else in her pathetic life. I’m sure she would have done anything he wanted to get her hands on his money. And, it should come as no surprise to anyone that she dropped the Jewish religion when she dumped the husband.With Cuomo being Catholic, it’s just a matter of time before she’s making a communion wafer crockpot crumble.

9. G_DAWG says:

Wow, just wow. Are F’ng kidding me.

10. SaraCVT says:

Wow…I’m speechless. Sort of, I guess, because there ARE two things I thought of when I watched the video: I truly didn’t NOTICE the “decorative detail” when I first saw the cake. So much for that–what’s the point of decorating if no-one notices it? Maybe you need to try harder there, honey. And second, didn’t the backlash about the infamous Kwanzaa Cake warn her against attempting a faith-themed item again? Is she truly that dumb? Wait…I answered my own question there.

Other than that, I’m speechless.

11. rebel says:

um…wow.

i don’t know whether to laugh or cry…but my Yiddishe mama would have laughed, for sure.

the faux pearls…the Star of David/Christmas tree topper…the marshmallows! gelatin, are you kidding me?

i’m only surprised she didn’t top off this disaster with bacon…

• GreenJeans says:

There are kosher marshmallows. I doubt it if she even realizes they exist.

Having said that, I revert to me original thought of WTF!

12. peppertreker says:

The Facacta fake (faux pearls most likely made in China)will make people sick that she wraped on cake

13. Swick says:

I actually remember watching this with my roommate, who observed the weirdness of stuffing the hole of a bundt cake with a non-Kosher food like marshmellows and calling this abomination a Hanukkah cake. Maybe it’s served with shrimp coktail and eggnog (alcoholic, of course).

The thing that’s supposed to be a Star of David also kept leaning to the side, as though embarassed to be on the cake.

Aunt Sandy did kindly warn people not to attempt to eat the pearls.

What’s next?–a Scottish cake made with hagis, scotch, and thistles?

• Charlie says:

Embarrassed to be on the cake…good one…

• J-Man says:

I’m sure Aunt Sandy has received many a “pearl necklace” that she HAS eaten, so her warning was understandable.

• Fia says:

I’ve often said that I’m waiting for one of the FN chefs to rape my cultural heritage (Scots-Irish) with a haggis slider (or “longboy” burger) on Irish soda bread or something… it’s bad enough they’ve done the St. Patrick’s Linguine (Guy) and “Irish Nachos” (RayRay.)

Thankfully I think haggis is safe from Drunky Lee, if only because it’s not easy to make and involves touching raw organ meat; while it can be purchased pre-made, it’s not easy to find. However, I’m sure she’d leap at the excuse to make a good, strong whiskey cocktail with something in the name about kilts, not to mention to cover a tablescape with tartan fabric and vases full of thistle and heather.

14. Catherine says:

I’ve seen this before but it never stops horrifying me. I’ve used store-bought angel food cake before — add some homemade whipped cream, fresh berries, and chocolate shavings, and it’s actually very good. Perfect for summer, when it’s too hot to bake.
    It absolutely boggles my mind that this woman feels the need to destroy food like this. Not only is it a diabetic coma waiting to happen, it’s also culturally offensive and butt ugly. I don’t even want to imagine what it must taste like. You might as well skip the middleman and eat spoonfuls of granulated sugar.

• Roo says:

Seriously. Who the heck frosts angel food cake??!

• Fia says:

I have, on occasion, because my aunt likes it that way and we’ve done it for her birthday in the past. But as someone who *has* frosted an angel food cake, I can’t imagine why anyone would (besides indulging a family member on their birthday) because it’s a pain in the ass. That cake is too squishy to frost, man!

• Meg says:

“culturally offensive and butt ugly”
      the most appropriate phrase for the entire show.

15. coffee-n-toast says:

I gotta say I can’t believe how long this one has flown under the radar. I remember watching this episode years ago with my hand over my eyes, because it was all so frighteningly bad. But I can see how it was overshadowed by the candleholder known as The Kwanzaa Cake. (What on earth possessed her to put table candles into a cake??? I ask you!)

16. coffee-n-toast says:

And I just have to point out, in order to serve the stupid thing, you have to take all that crap off of it. THEN you cut into it and have those packed in marshmellows burst out at you… and then what? Are you supposed to EAT them with the cake?? It’s SO FUCKING DUMB I can’t even stand it.

Sorry, I lost my head for a minute there.

• Daria says:

I know! I totally don’t get why she feels the need to stuff things in the middle of angel food cakes. Is that supposed to somehow hide the hole so people don’t realize you just threw a can of frosting on top of a store bought cake? Nothing will camoflauge this.

• GreenJeans says:

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing. I can’t get the picture of marshmallow projectiles out of my head.

• cloverleaf says:

LOL! I can see the marshmallows flying out like the snakes in a can gag. ;)

17. SaraCVT says:

If you’re so embarrassed by the hole, then bake a regular cake, or, I don’t know, BUY A CAKE WITHOUT A HOLE IN IT. THEY DO EXIST–I’VE SEEN THEM. The stuffing-things-in-the-hole is so unnecessary. But I think everybody realizes that–except Sandra Lee.

• Flyingroo says:

Reminds me of that scene from “My big fat Greek wedding” when her mother puts a small flower pot in the middle of the bundt cake!

18. kytten says:

That just totally blew my mind. First of all, that “Star of David” on top looks *nothing* like an actual Star of David to me. Second, blue? O_o That is the ugliest color of blue i have ever seen. Third, marshmallows? Really? Really?! Fourth, “IM GONNA ICE THE CAKE NO WAIT I NEED TO PUT THE MARSHMALLOWS INTO THE CAKE AND THEN IM GONNA ICE THE CAKE AND OHHH LOOOK ITS SO PRETTY WITH THE FAKE PEARL THINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE THAT ARE SOOOO SUPER SUPER SANITARY.” …-___-””

19. MsFoodie says:

Whoa. That is one fugly, unappetizing looking cake! Someone should really stop this gagfest she calls semi-ho-made. Gack.

20. Nora says:

“Whatever goes with your decor.”

How did I know she’d say that?

21. Deaner says:

Okay, the Hannukah cake is very, very bad. But for my money, *nothing* will ever top Aunt Sandy’s King’s Cake:

I mean, at least the Kwaanza and Hannukah cake offerings are actually made out of cake. But canned breadsticks?!?

• verucasalt10 says:

One of my BF’s is a NO native, she had sent me that and said she wept for all of New Orleans, watching Sandra Lee’s version of a King cake reduce a beloved Mardi Gras tradition into that mess.

Definitely one for the Sandra Lee hall of shame.

22. froglegs says:

I heard the last crew member that corrected her, was sentenced to a year of fetching “EXPRESSOS” for her.

23. K. says:

Duff should hire her.

24. KC03 says:

Okay, as a Jew (and BTW, try using the whole word next time) I’m going to take exception to “no self-respecting Jew would ever serve a store-bought cake…” as I am Jewish and grew up in suburb predominately made up of other Jewish people. I know for a fact how much they like to brag about where they bought things and how much they paid:

“Edith! Did ya try the cake? I paid $30 for it at [insert high end Jewish bakery of your choice] but it was worth every cent!”

Still, Sandy Lee needs to stop now. In all honesty, I would respect her more if she had a show about decorating for a party. Sure, I would never follow her directions, but at least she would have scant amount of information in coordination that could be passed on to the John Q. Public.

25. She does know there are whole, hole-less premade cakes…go to YouTube and search Sandra Lee, Noel Cake…you think this was bad…..

I have to wonder how many cans of frosting she went through for that hot mess, it wasn’t even a dark green xmas cake but light green…lol

• cowpoke says:

The Noel Cake. That was a hideous cake. Wasn’t it three tiers and mint green with candles all over it?

• Jillian says:

I tried to make the Noel cake for my Semi-edible blog and it toppled over before I could take it to my friend’s! It used 6 cans of frosting too. It was such a hot mess in all of its green glory. I think that cake is my favorite too, because who the heck makes a cake that big in the first place.

But, I will always hold a special place in my heart for whenever Aunt Sandy stuffs/fills the crevices of an angel food cake or fills in that hole. It’s hysterical.

• Jillian, that is a good point, why in hell was that cake so tall? It looked like a perverse xmas themed wedding cake gone terribly wrong lol.

I bet it was sweet though eh? lol

26. imgovtdrone says:

Sorry, I still think her Kawanza cake is the winner. (Look it up.)

27. Darline says:

What is up with Sandra Lee and her ethnic cakes having to do with angel food cake? What is she planning on making next? Ramadan cake?

28. The Watcher says:

Hey, team, stop screwing around and max this out to five stars.

• SaraCVT says:

Apparently, the team is listening; “Gary” just gave the recipe 5 stars and says “This cake is so cool it has moved past cool to perfect.” Anybody believe he’s genuine?

29. Nina says:

oh my god she didn’t even bother to add extract to her frosting! too drunk to remember sandy!? i watched the video of her making this on food network’s website and her BS excuse for this cake is that during holiday time in california people like to eat light and have buffets. WTF?

30. Amber says:

How can you all miss the kicker–she started talking about CHRISTMAS while “making” the cake. (It’s warm during Christmas so serve something light….)

31. Nina says:

p.s. marshmallows contain gelatin derived from pigs hooves..so not kosher

• cowpoke says:

They do have Kosher marshmallows. Agar and Carrageen are gelatin derived from dried seaweed and gelatin can also come from fish bones and beef skin that according to Kosher Law go through complex changes to become Kosher.

• TheIrishHalfBlood says:

Not! kosher if you mix animal derived gelatin with milk…never mix dairy and flesh or it will be trefe…-> not kosher

And those ‘laws’ are bullshit because than they call cheese trefe if it is made with calfs stomach won enzymes ..and those undergo as much procedures as gelatin does and still renin from calfes turns milk/cheese trefe.

Jews are not allowed to eat cheese made with calf stomach enzymes(counts as meat/never serve a child with its mothers milk) so they have to buy cheese with bacteria enzymes, but than eating gelatin from cows and pigs(pig-double trefe) is ok because it ran through so many procedures to make it kosher?

Yeaaah….sure.

One big example that shows you how people bend and break rules for their own gain

With these so called procedures pure lard or fat from pigs used for milk containing foods would count as kosher too because it ran through so much procedures of cooking and cleaning

32. REKS says:

wow…i am sure somebody from here just gave it a 2 star rating…thanks GARY…the joke is not fun anymore…still an ugly cake

33. Nora says:

I’m laughing so hard I’m crying. Can this woman ever be stopped?

34. FingerFoodie says:

I’m so sad…they took down the Kwanzaa cake recipe. How long till they take this one down too? How the hell does this stuff even get put on TV??

She. Is. On. Drugs.
    Will there be a Senate Committee to ask her about her drug use?

35. Jane says:

How To Fake the Bake for Dummies by Sandra Lee
    *Bonus* with order- Official application for entry into competition for the next “Faux-Cook Star”!**

**Must have sob-story with documentation and verification.

Buyers who ordered this also purchased:
    “Dollar Store Savvy: How to Make Your Purchase Look Like $ 1.01″

36. stoup says:

Is Aunt Sandy the product of Bob Tushie and Susie Cream Cheese, or did she give someone at FN a “happy ending” to get the job?
    Her show is a JOKE!

• Silvio says:

She definitely was offering up pickle washes in order to get on the air. She looks like she loves the bone-aphone as well.

37. SaraCVT says:

Oh, come ON–although it IS kind of funny. This “recipe” now has another 5-star rating from “Holly” in Chatsworth, NJ, titled “AMAAAAZING!” that says,

“All my guests at my Star of David party thought I’d spent HOURS baking. Then they realized I don’t have a kitchen. Then I realized all my guests were cats.”

• Jenifefa says:

I posted that. I’m sorry. I wanted to see if they’d actually allow me to post it and keep it on the site. There’s a “flag” button, so I fully expect a rabid Sandy fan to flag me.

• SaraCVT says:

I think they’re just so desperate for good ratings, they let it go as long you posted it with a 5-star rating. They really are ratings whores on that site.

• Veganista says:

I was actually reading that review when my computer refreshed the page and it disappeared.

38. mafe153 says:

When she asks at the end “Isn’t that cute?” I want to yell at her “No, it is NOT!”

39. Carla says:

Nothing Jews love more than ground up pig bones and marrow with dairy.

40. Stephen says:

OMG! That is FUGLY! That pearl mess on top doesn’t even look like a Star of David. That color is nauseating. She stuffed it with marshmallows? WTF. I’m 49 and Jewish. I don’t ever remember anyone in my family having a Hanukkah cake. She converted to Judaism, but doesn’t know the story of Hanukkah? Every Jewish kid knows the story. You can find it online. The appropriate dessert for Hanukkah is doughnuts. Why? Because they are fried in oil. Hanukkah celebrates the miracle of a small amount of oil that lasted for 8 days. I could bear to watch the video. She and that cake are a freaking train wreck

41. Spatuler says:

That’s not even the right shade of blue for Christ’s sakes. Is this woman on crack? It’s as though she’s living on another planet, and getting away with it, like non-stop.

Its as though she’s simply catering to the high level of Jews in the New York area, and completely failing at it. What a stupid b!tch. Nothing new.

42. Jim says:

I wonder how many of the ingredients were Kosher for Passover, I mean marshmellows alone usually aren’t Kosher.

43. Sharon says:

Why do I have to answer the switchboard for a hospital to get paid????? I can cook at least as good as her!
    Lord, if you can hear me, PLEASE let me never hear the word “tablescape” again. Seriously, Lord!!!
    Pleasie, please?????

44. Coast0385 says:

What the Hell is this, it is a semi-homemade mess that’s what it is.

45. Coast0385 says:

And she has her nerve making a kwanzaa cake girl stop it

46. Susan says:

While yes, the cake is ugly & she neglected to use, or even mention, kosher ingredients for it, but people are missing even worse points. The star is NOT the Star of David – looks like TWO XMAS STARS stuck together on top!! – and Jews DON’T EAT CAKE ON CHANUKAH! We eat latkes or jelly donuts (sufganyiot)!! Food fried in oil, Sandra Lee – OIL! Get it?

The sickest thing is that she supposedly converted to marry her husband. A sterling example of why many rabbis won’t even do conversions: too many people obviously don’t take it seriously enough to learn even the littlest things!!

47. Meems says:

My computer wouldn’t let me load the recipe. Thank you, computer.

48. [...] day of Hanukkah, I just had to share this Sandra Lee creation, which I discovered last year via Food Network Humor. [...]

49. Macmarsh says:

The people who have made comments on this page are unkind. You need a moderator desperately. If one object to a recipe on religious grounds or cooking fair enough but character assassination is unwarranted.
    Shame on you.
    ps I have never heard of this cook prior to doing a simple web search for a kosher angel-food cake recipe.