Foodie of the Week, Guy Fieri »

Food Network Getting Sued Over “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives”

Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives has the dubious distinction of being one of the only shows I absolutely, unequivocally can not force myself to watch. Fieri is an obnoxious bearded troll of a man,  and the sound of him moaning while he’s shoving unidentifiable haunches of meat into his mouth makes me die inside. I’ve silently wished to the heavens many times that this horrific piece of shit show would be canceled – and my wish finally may be coming true.

The producer of the series (Page Productions) is suing the Food Network in federal court for “breach of contract.” You can download the whole document here, but according to my vast legal expertise (read: three business law classes at UConn) it basically says:

1. In 2007, Food Network retained Page Productions to produce and deliver seasons 12-14 of the show.
  2. Food Network was responsible for “furnishing the services of the host” and paying his salary. Fieri’s fee was “separate from the budget for the series” because he’s a diva bitch like that.
  3. Page Productions is suing Food Network for “failing to provide the services of the host” and “failing to make payments required by the contract.”

Page Productions alleges Food Network told them they “would not comply with its obligations under the contract and would not allow Page to produce the series after season 12.”

If Food Network couldn’t “retain services” of the bearded troll, does this mean Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives is going to be canceled? Or do they just want out of their contract with their current producer? It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, and we’ll bring you more info as it becomes available.

---Amazon Product Recommendations: More Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives
---Worst Food Network Host (Part I)
---Guy Fieri Isn’t As Bad As You Think He Is; HE’S WORSE
---Melissa d’Arabian Promoting The USAA
---Ladies And Gentlemen: Guy Fiery

10:1 odds that Guy is demanding a higher salary, FN can’t afford it because their shows and ratings suck, and the producer is between a rock & a hard place.

Guy’s ego is roughly the size of the Horsehead Nebula. He’s sick of traveling and wants out, but knows that DDD is what made him and can’t hardly publicize the fact that he wants out.

Total conjecture on my part; but it’s the only thing that makes sense.

2. diva bitch is the best descriptor I’ve seen yet for fucking gweedo.

• Julia says:

I agree completely!

• JenSon says:

As a foodie that has been in the restaurant business for many years I must disagree. I love this show and love to see different ideas from different places. Why make this personal because you dont like Guy..thats just silly to me. Have you thought about the many viewers that do like him? And the many restaurants that benefit from being featured on his show? I would be honored to have him at mine…and if you owned or ran one you would understand. Can you just turn the channel and shut up please.

3. Ida Slapter says:

Looks like the Ferry Princess feels she is entitled to more money for being an uber-twat. To the world, he’s a waste of flesh and hair dye. To FN, he is gold. So I’m sure they will bend over, put some fresh vaseline on their lips and give him the BJ of a lifetime to get him to stay. Although I will be secretly praying that FN and Page productions grow a set and cancel this school-bus wreck of a show once and for all.

4. Sue says:

What I’ve never been able to figure out is WHO are the people who watch and enjoy him? Because someone must thing he’s getting ratings… he’s prostituted all over my TV.

Oddly enough, I sort of wanted him to win TNFNS. Sadly enough, I wish he never had. The man has lost all credibility, I don’t think he’s a “real” chef, and he’s turned into the most obnoxious caricature of a chef.

• Tom says:

I’m not sure of the exact definition of a “real” chef. He did go to cooking school and is partners in several restaurants where he was key in developing the menus. He certainly does not cook. But I don’t know if you have to to be a chef. Of course you should be able to.

• Silvio says:

He went to UNLV (supposedly) and took hotel/motel management. How’s that cooking school ?

As well UNLV is turnip factory.

• Tom says:

Good point, how can you compare an 18 month private cooking school to a full blown university with graduate and professional schools? Do you know the difference?

• Davegeek says:

Point is taking university courses in hotel management is not the same as going to cooking school. I did both university and cooking school and they are not the same thing. Not even close. You’re the one touting his cooking school credentials which are seemingly non-existent.

• Drew says:

My mother is one of those people who actually enjoys watching him. As much as I try to convince her otherwise…*sigh*…

• April says:

Hi Sue. I watch DDD. I don’t like Fieri at all, I think he’s a jackass. I do like seeing what kind of grub is out there in out of the way places. Went to a place in Indianapolis that was featured on the show…3 Sisters. Very good food.

• Larry says:

Agreed. I actually like seeing the places featured on DDD, but can’t stand Fieri. Sadly, if they replaced him on the show, my guess is the show would be canceled. I’ve been to several places featured on DDD, and honestly, every one of them had great food. FN shows are just too over-produced. IDK why they’re not paying attention to what makes other network food shows so good. It’s the style, structure and hosts of FN shows that are such a turn off for me. Too much production.

• Matt says:

That would be me. I watch and often enjoy DDD but don’t care for his Big Bite show. I like the concept and the presentation of DDD though.

5. Tom says:

I don’t watch DDD much, but when they show a place near me (Sacramento) it’s fun. The tattos, sunglasses, surfer dude talk are all annoying but I sometimes learn about food and cooking. Better than the endless stream of cooking contests I don’t watch.(except ICA.)

• Pat Smear says:

so basically your telling us Tom, that your just a pussy?

• Amo says:

Agree. Fieri is a massive tool, but I think he comes over well on DDD as he always makes the featured cooks feel like they are brilliant at what they do. I find it interesting (particularly as I’m a Brit who is trying to learn as much as possible about American culinary culture) and certainly far more watchable than a lot of the output of the Network. I mean compare this with the likes of Cupcake Wars for goodness sake.

6. Hippy_Longstocking says:

what do they mean “seasons 12 through 14″? He hasn’t been on that long – I thought only a few years.

7. Old71 says:

An old used car salesman from the 70s could do Ferry’s job. All said then later clown!!!!

8. Sarah says:

He’s gone through 12 seasons of 13 episodes, which makes 156 episodes. How the fuck did this douche last through 156 episodes? Are there really that many sheep that watch him?

9. allen says:

i really hope this show goes away soon. i think its interesting that page also produces outrageous foods, a carbon copy of 3d. hopefully that show goes away soon as well.

• Mike says:

while I agree that outrageous foods is a HORRIBLE show, I would like to see Tom re-purposed to host an actual cooking show.

Also, what makes DDD terrible aside from the douchenugget hosting the show? Its a well-conceived idea, going around the country highlighting the lesser-known food establishments. It’s just a shame that that toolbucket hosts it.

10. Mike says:

i’ll be honest. Im one of those “sheep” who watches DDD. I dont watch because of the toolbag who’s hosting, but because of the small, hole in the wall places i find out about when I watch.

I often watch the show and wonder how any of these chefs havent punched him square in the face yet.

• Ray says:

And that’s the thing. I DON’T watch …. because of the “douchenugget” hosting the show. I agree with your previous post that the idea of the show is good. I’ve seen roughly similar shows in specials on PBS. Not exactly the same, but they were shows which would highlight small, independent eateries around the US.

But, when it comes to DDD, as much as I’d like to tune in to watch for the restaurants, I can’t stomach watching that greasy, arrested-development, ill-mannered slob of a host. I guess some people have the ability to watch in spite of him. I’m not one of those. Leastwise not after a handful of episodes. More power to you, though!

11. Di says:

I’ll be interested to see what this, ultimately, is all about.
    And (sorry) I am not total Guy-hater, esp. in context of DDD. He always comes across as respectful and interested-in what all these inventive/devoted folks are doing.

• robby says:

yeah, I love the show, don’t particularly enjoy the host some of the time. He goes to some very fun and interesting places that I will be sure to visit when i’m in the area.

• Plumpy says:

I can take Guy in small doses only and find him less annoying than that dipshit who hosts Meat & Potatoes.

• Ray says:

I’ll give you this one. If forced to choose the lesser of these two evils, Guy would win. Much as it pains me to say so.

12. Matt says:

Folks. Seriously. Let’s all take a moment to reflect on our jobs, and what we are paid. Now, for just a moment. Consider Guy Ferry. Imagine the negotiations on how he justifies the hundreds of thousands he makes for douche bag de jour. The American economy is tanked but Ferry still rakes it in.
    Pissed? Me too!

13. Kelsey says:

I’m going to come out and say I like this show. Sure, I’m not a huge fan of Guy, but I think the show does a great job of promoting small restaurants. Heck, my family only discovered this delicious burger place because it was on this show. Yeah, Guy can be irritating at times, but I do think he’s a decent person overall.

14. Deaner says:

“… the sound of him moaning while he’s shoving unidentifiable haunches of meat into his mouth makes me die inside”

LMAO!!! Now *that* is funny. Great job, Jillian!

“shoving unidentifiable haunches of meat into his mouth”
    LOLing!

16. Deen says:

I tried watching DDD the other day because it featured eateries in Hawaii. (I am absolutely obsessed with living there someday) Sadly, even paradise was not enough to ease the pain of watching that DDDouchebag stuff his face and act like a tool. Here’s hoping that it gets cancelled.

17. JackEughlayte says:

Biting the proverbial hand that feeds him, shitting in the Company punch bowl, call it what you will……..

18. Gerry From Valpo says:

I actually like DDD. The concept is very good and in my travels I have stopped at quite a few places featured on DDD.

But that Gay Fagetti dood creeps me out bigtime. Here at your site you have him nailed. He’s a boring little prick who’s way to full of himself.

Hopefully the program will continue and they will find a replacement that doesn’t make me wretch like an outhouse in Flavortown. But since it IS TFN that’s highly unlikely.

19. Laura from the Chi says:

I agree that DDD is a good CONCEPT for a show, and I also agree that Guy F. is the Food Network’s biggest douche. Still, the thing that bugs me the most about DDD, even above GF’s douchebaggery, is the fact that he NEVER swallows the food. Never, ever!!! When he tastes the food there are always about 8 jump cuts of him jamming it into his mouth, making orgasmic sounds over it, saying how good it is, etc., but he never chews. I can’t watch the show because I just picture him spitting into the bucket after each take. I realize he’d be 380 lbs if he ate all that fatty diner food, but it REALLY distracts from the show to me. I’ll take Paula Deen talking with her mouth full and whipped cream on her chin any day over Guy’s spit-edits. Bleeech.

• Your NameNo Nic says:

Actually, he looks to me like he is pushing 380lbs and when they were doing that tailgater cookoff competition show he was absolutely stuffing his face (the judges did not).

20. KVan49 says:

Oh, please let this be the end of this horrible show. Two weeks ago I wrote Food Network to ask why this trough of puke was on my TV every day for hours and hours and hours. I asked who Guy Ferry was sleeping with at Food Network or who did he have naked pictures of as these can be the only reasons he is on air at all.

Strange, I have yet to hear back from them. :)

21. Swissmiss says:

I used to watch the show but then realized they were running the same programs over and over. Sometimes I google the restaurant and see how others rate it.

22. Stacey says:

I go to UConn!

23. Sweet peppa says:

(deep breath-yeah I’m gonna just say it)
    DDD is one of the best shows on FN.
    Seriously.

24. Jen says:

If I’m wrong for watching DDD then I don’t want to be right. The show is an awesome idea; it gives hole-in-the-wall restaurants publicity that they normally wouldn’t get.

People bust their asses in these little restaurants and the food is 10x better than any crap you’ll get at an Applebee’s, but nobody knows they exist because they don’t have the marketing force of the chain restaurants. Guy gives these restaurants some publicity which is a great thing.

25. Paul says:

I agree that it’s a good chance for these restaurants to get noticed, but this over aged frat boy’s ego & troll-like behavior have made DDD unwatchable. Wish FN would got back to being about food & not about demographics.

26. Matt says:

I am thinking you might have an issue with Guy. I really like DDD. It showcases some excellent foods and ideas that help me in my everyday cooking more than Bobby Flay or almost any of the other shows have.

27. Douglas herbert says:

Haters will always hate… I love the show, and have no problem with him at all..

28. AH says:

Love the show and like guy… He is funny… And as you can see the show is popular so the 50 or so comments on here must be in the minority!

29. Rei says:

Watching DDD once in a while is entertaining. GF has his own style. You can like him or not … but I do not believe he deserves the heap of insults displayed in almost every comment above. Those insults are as disgusting as the GF’s manners they pretend to criticize.

However there is a real disgusting fact about most of the joints featured in DDD. The lack of cleanliness and the flagrant violation of sanitation rules. Almost every joint should be fined and / or closed due to lack of sanitation compliance. Watch carefully and you will also see similar situations in Restaraunt Impossible, Truck Race and the likes.
    If I were a food sanitation inspector I would visit these shops on the following day and enforce basic sanitation rules for the sake and well being of the public.

30. glorybea says:

I love the show. You are a jerk for wanting a program cancelled that so many people like. Just because you don’t like it does not mean it should not exist. It is people like you who are ruining things for everybody. I bet you don’t like people drinking 16oz cokes either do you? So you don’t think people should be able to drink them either. I don’t drink coffee It makes me jumpy and impatient. I think all coffee should be outlawed for those same reasons. See the idiocracy?

31. leslie says:

everytime i turn on foodnet work this god damn show is always on, it needs to go along with his annoying face

32. Freight Train says:

Sick & tired of seeing rerun after reunun, day after day & night after night. Doesn’t this network have a better sense of humer than this? I really enjoy watching all the DIFFERENT cooking shows, but I think I’ll start watching DIFFERENT channels, & BLOCK this one from my living room.

33. Sandy says:

I’m seriously disappointed in some of these posts on here! I Love Guy F. he’s the only person who knows & understands what food means & other people cook!! Come on HATERS!! Grow up & get over it! OMG!! Some of us are DIE HARD DDD Guy F. fans!
    Love it!!

34. David says:

I can’t stand this show and wish it would go away forever. Awful concept, awful host, awful show.

35. Jester says:

The show is not bad, but do they have to air it sooo much. It seems like that’s all FN plays these days.

36. dino says:

I love the show but not because of Guy. It’s in spite of him. I can’t stand his fake Italian gimmick. He changed his last name to Fieri. Every time they show his parents and sister I tell myself there is very little Italian blood in those veins.