General: Food Network »

Food Network Wins One Lone Daytime Emmy

The Daytime Emmy Awards were held last week, and Food Network didn’t do very well. Paula Deen and Anne Burrell lost in the “outstanding culinary host” category to Martha Stewart. Secrets Of A Restaurant Chef and Paula’s Best Dishes also lost to the PBS show, Avec Eric.

In fact, the Food Network only walked away with one lone Emmy:

That’s Anne Fox.

(crickets)

She’s a director. On Giada At Home.

(crickets)

I still say Anne Burrell should have won Outstanding Culinary Host. Martha Stewart? A lying, thieving, cunty ex-convict who hasn’t been relevant since 1992? REALLY?

And who the hell watches AVEC ERIC other than my 93 year old French neighbor? Total fail.

Anne took her loss well, and tweeted: “Sadly I did not win either of the two emmy’s I was nominated for. So-i went to dinner at Lucques, drank a lot and then went back to my hotel and opened a can of whoop #!@%*# on the mini bar.” Ah yes. A woman after my own heart.

Better luck next year, Food Network. But considering you’ve set the bar pretty damn low with your upcoming programming (Extreme Chefs? A culinary “Dancing With The Stars” hosted by Fieri and Ray?)… we wouldn’t be expecting too many Emmys if we were you.

---Food Network Gets 10 Daytime Emmy Nominations
---Ina Garten, Bobby Flay Win Daytime Emmys
---Anne Burrell, Paula Deen Nominated For 2011 Daytime Emmys
---Martha Stewart Tells Rachael Ray A Knock-Knock Joke
---Thanksgiving Tips: Helpful DO’s and DON’Ts

1. coffee-n-toast says:

I realize I’m skipping over the major point of the article, but is there seriously going to be an “extreme” show hosted by Guy Fieri and Rachel Ray? Because everything about that statement makes my scalp want to turn inside out and my head implode.

• Gypsy says:

ditto!

• Jennifer Smith says:

I cannot believe Anne Burrell didn’t win. This proves how irrelevant Emmy’s have become, because that woman is pure talent.

On another note, are you kidding about the culinary “Dancing with the Stars” thing? Please tell me you’re kidding.

Seriously. I’m already experiencing uncontrollable facial twitching over the “Extreme Chefs” show.

2. I actually *love* Avec Eric, but would definitely prefer to watch Chef Anne over Chef Eric any day. However, I must say, I am getting sick to DEATH of watching Anne drink a glass of wine in every goddamned episode, or tell random stories about her childhood that are totally un-fucking-related to her food, her show and, most importantly, her personality. It’s obnoxious — FN should leave that shit to RayRay and Giada.

• cloverleaf says:

I love Avec Eric, but also enjoy Anne’s show. Better luck next year, Anne! :)

• LauraS says:

Anne is awesome. I wish her stories were less about family and more like her tweets. TSA pat downs, drinks and being an awesome crazy woman. I like her far more than anybody else not named Alton Brown. She’s not phony, she’s hilariously awesome (seriously, if you don’t follow on twitter, do it….other chefs are boring, but she brings it).

• Jersey Girl says:

I love Avec Eric, but think Anne should have won.

Since there is soon to be no more Good Eats, she hosts the only watchable thing on that channel. Of course, that’s not counting the show I watch ONLY to enjoy this site, aka NFNS.

To purple, that’s what I love about her. She cooks a lot like I do…at least the part about always having some wine in reach :)

• SKW says:

I don’t get the Anne love AT ALL either. That growly thing she does when she talks about meat (“Brrrroooowwwwn food tastes guuuuuud!”) makes me want to sell my television to the highest bidder. She also talks to the food, not in a cute way, but in a way that makes her seem like an obnoxious 8th grader.

Oh well, to each his own.

• Jennifer Smith says:

SKW, I’m sorry that you don’t get the Anne love. Perhaps it’s a restaurant thing. There’s a big difference between being a home cook and running a restaurant, and she’s the real deal. Her tips are spot-on, her recipes are outstanding and her attitude is thoroughly enjoyable.

And she’s funny. :)

• SKW says:

I hear you, but I think it’s just the obnoxiousness that turns me off. She comes off like she’s trying way too hard. Once, when she was rinsing something, she said that it needed a “washy-washy.” Dear God.

3. Eurodancemix says:

As much as you may dislike Martha, you at least have to agree that the woman is talented and makes food that you’d *want* to eat. Yeah, she’s a pompous snob, but at least you know she’d throw a sumptuous dinner party.

With Rachel, eh…I think the garbage bowl might eventually end up on the table as a (decorative and colorful) fruit bowl.

• coffee-n-toast says:

Absolutely. Every recipe in Martha Stewart’s “Food” magazine looks amazing. Conversely, I’ve never made ONE single recipe of Rachel Ray’s.

That said, Martha Stewart brings on insomnia in me that otherwise lies dormant. She’s Ina on Zanax.

• Kathy says:

Martha’s pie crust recipe is really good. I made a pot roast from one of her recipes that was also very, very good. Plus she does crafts, too. And she knows what she’s talking about.

• Ok says:

Totally agree. Every recipe I’ve ever made from Martha has been good. Some I wouldn’t necessarily make again, but none that made me gag.

• No Nic says:

Guess you’ve been lucky so far… She doesn’t write her own recipes so I suppose if she’s hiring the best these days they recipes will be good. I was unfortunate enough to try some recipes from one of her 1990′s cookbooks AND THE RESULTS WERE SO BAD THEY HAD TO BE THROWN AWAY. And this was when I was flat broke and throwing food away made me literally cry.

• Devika says:

I completely agree with your comment. Despite Martha coming across as cold from time to time, she still cooks very well. The fact that she’s so anal about everything actually makes me trust her more; you know she won’t publish a recipe that doesn’t meet her ridiculously high standards.

P.S. Martha’s cupcake recipe is incredible.

4. Spork-no-more says:

Keep bringin’ the truth about Martha!

5. Allison says:

I’m confused about the whole “extreme chef” show… i looked it up and the only new show on FN with that title is a show that takes chefs out of their comfort zone and makes it suck for them to cook in some dumb way… but nothing about celebrities was described and according to the website neither guy nor rachel are hosting… could you clear this up?

• Lana says:

They’re two different shows.
      Extreme chef NOT hosted by Guy nor Rachael, premiering soon on FN.

Guy and Rachael announced they’ll work on a show together, a “culinary version of DWTS,” Guy will have one team of “stars” and compete against Rachael’s. To my knowledge, no episodes have even been taped yet.

• Erica says:

Sort of like the way that Worst Cooks in America pits Anne’s team of chefs against Robert’s team?

• Lana says:

From what I understand, yeah. But with celebrities. I dunno, sounds kinda fake and contrived to me … but then … I’m not a DWTS fan, either ….

• orchidgal says:

I saw the commercials for “Extreme Chef” last night and just cringed. Yet somehow I knew that Bob and Susie were already having visions of ratings success a la “Survivor”.

6. Richard S. says:

I want Anne Burrell to have my children!!

• Fia says:

I want to have Anne Burrell’s children! Sadly, I think the only thing we’d have in common in the bedroom besides our gender is a general preference for men…

7. pjsimps1 says:

I love “Avec Eric”. It is way better than most of the shows on FN anymore. It’s incredibly refreshing to have a host who actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to food.

• Cayenne says:

I love Avec Eric and I am neither French nor 93 years old. Have learned a lot just from the few episodes aired on our PBS station; As for Food Network, my dog can cook better than some of those socalled “celebrity chefs” or Network Stars.

8. Nigel Tufnel says:

It’s insulting that any FN show is even nominated with the quality of the shows on PBS.

9. Bee says:

Martha Stewart’s show is actually pretty entertaining. In addition to all those Martha tips, such as how to decorate your toilet paper for guests – she also is so dry its unintentionally unbearably awkward/hilarious to watch.

She even occasionally makes a crack at her own imprisonment. “That was when I was on probation..”

10. johnny says:

The cooking shows on PBS may be lower budget and thus look less appealing, but the information they offer is far beyond anything FN has to offer. Avec Eric is a great example of a good cooking show.

• Luna Lovegood says:

I agree, PBS shows are much more informational and informative, especially shows like America’s Test Kitchen and Avec Eric. Anne Burrell is OK but she does everything so fast and does not really show technique, so she is really just demonstrating, not teaching. And it’s unappetizing when she says BROWN CRUD, that is not the best choice of descriptive words while cooking foods.

11. GajaStar says:

I was actually watching Avec Eric the other day. The man’s hair is pure white, to the point that his eyebrows look like a bad makeup highlighting job, but his chest hair is still black. It was transfixing.

And he’s like a Jaques Pepin that I don’t hate on a visceral, indefinable level.

12. LauraS says:

Hey, they’re also bringing that stupid Food Truck show (whatever it was called…and I don’t care enough about it to look it up) hosted by TyFlo. Between that, Outrageous Food and whatever abortion of a TV show they plan with Guy and Rachel (seriously, just the thought makes me want to swallow bleach). Those awards are SURE to fall into the FN’s lap any time

13. Silvio says:

Did Sunny Anderson lose for Largest Back End on a Daytime host ? Who’d she lose too ? Nigella ?

14. Erica says:

What about the show with the annoying woman describing her entire family in the commercial? I hate HATE HATE Cake Boss on TLC because all they do is scream and yell and all that nonsense. I do not want to see a repeat of the show on FN.

At least the people on Ace of Cakes weren’t yelling at each other all of the time…

15. Aimee says:

Am I the only one who has no idea what “Avec Eric” is? Of course, I don’t watch much FN these days.

• Fia says:

Or PBS, I assume, since it was referred to as “the PBS show, Avec Eric.” (I’ve never seen/heard of it, either.)

16. Allison says:

Sorry, Martha does a far better job of cooking than most. Her instructions are clear and concise. Her food is inviting and does not leave a newbie in spasms. Watch her baking show- the basics she covers and the way she shows the versatility of a basic makes it one of the best out there.

• Cayenne says:

Thank you, Alison. Martha also is a great host in that she lets her guests take center stage. when you tune in her show, it is to watch food being prepared without having to tune out the weird hairdos, tats, poor wardrobe choices and over the top foodgasms.

17. Teague says:

Can’t believe Paula was in the same category as Eric Ripert.

Quite frankly I surprised that any FN show were worthy of any sort of nominations. Have we really sunk that low as a society?

18. Chris says:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, cunty.

I love Jillian’s usage of that word. Beautiful.

Another vote for Avec, Eric. Good show.

• Ash says:

I thought calling Martha ‘cunty’ was pretty unnecessary. Classy, Jill.

• Zoe says:

As one who makes use of the word “cunt” on a fairly regular basis, I agree with you. 1) I think Martha’s dry self-awareness is under-appreciated and a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the FN people.
        2) The Martha Stewart shennanery is, I think, a witch hunt. Using terms like “cunty” to describe her adds fuel to fire.
        /vague feministing

19. Scruffy says:

When did Anne graduate to Legend status? She’s like the hottest girl in the trailer park–great in that particular setting, but not all that in the grand scheme of things.

Avec Eric is a very well done show. Nothing this side of Good Eats from FN is deserving of an Emmy over it.

• Zoe says:

Ahahahahaha. Ahahaha. I just keep imagining the FN trailer park. It would explain all the peroxide. And Paula Deen is totally the crazy old woman with 85 cats, 14 dogs, and 5 ferrets– even though the lease says no pets.

20. orchidgal says:

Color me shocked that Semi-Homemade With Sandra Lee did not win for “Outstanding Achievement in Hairstyling” or an “Outstanding Achievement in Makeup” . Hey, anything that can make her look better must deserve an award.

21. Old71 says:

Don’t think Avec Eric should have won. That is one of the worst cooking shows on PBS. Lidia’s Italy and even the old Jacques and Julia show are alot better than anything on FN.

22. Tali F. says:

after becoming hooked on this site, i stopped being able to watch FN, and instead, having finished watching my way through julia child and jacques pepin, started borrowing martha stewart dvds from the library and watching her current show online. the woman is a goddess of the domestic arts and FN only screwed themselves by ceasing to syndicate her show. she is a breath of fresh air: self-made, talented, approachable, and even has a dry sense of humor and the ability to laugh at herself (“the recipe says to use thumbprints, but God knows i’ve been thumbprinted MANY times”). her live show only highlights this further. she made a costly mistake a few years ago, but paid the price and has moved on. there’s no reason why we shouldn’t as well. regarding her demeanor that may appear snobbish and cold- perfectionism is a lost art. i’m not saying she’s not flawed, but she is definitely head and shoulders above anyone on FN these days. ina garten is only a sloppy knockoff of martha stewart. from wikipedia: “The People special, Scandals! That Rocked America, stated ‘Some expected America’s goddess of domestic perfection to fall into terminal despair. Instead, with the drive that would make her a billionaire, Stewart took her lemon of a sentence and made lemonade. Heck, she made a lemon soufflĂ©.’”

• No Nic says:

Perfectionism is a mental disease, and the upper-crust WASP act is just that… an act. Maybe it’s the Irish speaking but I don’t understand why anyone would get dolled up in WASP drag to put on a WASP minstrel show. Sounds like a Cake Walk. Ugh.

That New England farmhouse shit is played, anyway. Midcentury modern is where it’s at, baby.

23. Shawn says:

Couldn’t stop laughing at the ‘crickets’ part!

I could direct an episode of Giada at home; it can’t be that hard- just tell the camera guy to zoom in on her boobs, when she zests a lemon or peels garlic, and then periodically remind Giada to over-enunciate a random Italian word here and there or smile blankly at the camera so we can see her back molars. There. Give me a daytime emmy now.

• Zoe says:

My least favorite thing about “G at H” is how predictable the music cuts are– it’s like, “Oh! Time to cut up some produce!” “Oh hai! We’re done!”

24. Butter says:

Avec Eric is amazing though :O

25. Andy says:

Seriously, Anne Burrell is the MOST ANNOYING HOST on food network. Her little fake grunting is beyond irritating. I want her to jump off a cliff

26. jo says:

Avec Eric — and Eric Ripert — is the sexiest cooking show on television. No boobs, no drama, no frog voices. Straight to the source of food and simply, yummily dishing it up.

27. Donna says:

Anne deserves an Emmy for sure, if nothing else but for the way she says “MEAT.” So without further ado (stop me before I ‘shop again!), Ms. B’s Emmy:

28. FatCat says:

I also agree. Martha is pretenious in an Ina Garten sorta way but she had one of the few TV programs with class. I was upset when it moved to Hallmark channel which I don’t get. She’s a pretty relevant icon.

29. Mystrich says:

Well, Martha was on Colbert Report explaining how this is her first show ever on public television or something. So she may just be reaching more people if she’s coming on after the news. And she was never a particularly bad hostess and her crafts are way better than Sandra Lee’s tablescapes.