Next Iron Chef »

And The Next Iron Chef Is…

That’s right, ladies and gentlemen. The lord of the fireplaces… the king of St. Barts… the master of brunch… Geoffrey Zakarian beat Elizabeth Falkner in tonight’s finale of Next Iron Chef. And how do I feel about that?

I wanted to see Burrell or Guarnaschelli take it. Other than that, I really didn’t care who won or lost. It’s about the personalities to us watching at home. We’re not tasting the food, and honestly, most of it is way above the heads and palates of the average person anyway.

Didn’t catch the episode? Here’s what you missed. The challengers had 1 hour to create a 3-course holiday meal. They were able to bring back one eliminated contestant to help them for 15 minutes each, and Falkner/Zakarian decided on Alex Guaranschelli. Zakarian used her talents well, and had her make a sake risotto. Falkner, on the other hand, ASKED HER TO CHOP AND ICE FENNEL because she’s “good at it.” You know who else is good at that? EVERYONE ON THE PLANET.

For the life of me, I can’t understand that decision. You have one of the best chefs in the country at your disposal, and you task her with that? I’m surprised she didn’t ask her to make ice cubes. What a total fail. Oh Falkner, you so crazy.

The chairman also threw surprises at them during the challenge. They had to make a cranberry dish, a frozen concoction using the ice cream maker, and whip up a cocktail. Yes, a cocktail. Everyone is making cocktails on their shows these days. I’ve been calling it the “SANDRA LEEIFICATION” of the Food Network. Her influence is everywhere. Before long, every chef on the Food Network will be required to open a packet of onion soup powder and/or Cool Whip at least once per episode.

Other than that, not much happened. Except for, of course, ELIZABETH FALKNER ZESTING A FREAKING ORANGE after the ending buzzer went off. I demand a recount! Roll the slow motion footage!

Overall, the judges had more bad comments about Falkner’s food than Zakarians “modern luxury Christmas” dinner (insert eyeroll here). That is, except for Judy Joo. Judy Joo just LOVES her some Elizabeth Falkner. As I said on Twitter, Falkner could serve her a turd on a plate and Joo would say it was fantastic. You know I’m right.

And that’s it, folks! I was wrong in my prediction that a woman would win the season. I was confident about that because I was under the impression Cat Cora left the show to be with her family. I was wrong there, too. Cat Cora is still very much an Iron Chef, and in fact just filmed a new episode of the show.

I also ran my mouth a lot, saying how I thought the winner was likely predetermined before the season even started filming. Alton Brown has given several interviews and has spoken out on Twitter stating that to the best of his knowledge that is not true. And I definitely am in no position to argue with that. I’m just a silly blogger, after all.

The bottom line is that this is entertainment – plain and simple. And an entertaining season it has been. We peons will never know what goes on behind the scenes. And you know what? That’s probably for the best.

What did you think of the finale? Happy with the outcome? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

---Next Iron Chef: Just The Good Stuff (Episode 6)
---Next Iron Chef: Just The Good Stuff (Episode 7)
---Next Iron Chef: Just The Good Stuff (Episode 5)
---Next Iron Chef: Just The Good Stuff (Episode 1)
---Next Iron Chef: Just The Good Stuff (Episode 4)

1. Missy says:

Didn’t watch the finale. Wouldn’t watch an episode of ICA with either of them as the Iron Chef. Basically a big fat who cares. The outcomes of the last two weeks made me completely quit caring about the final result.

2. deb says:

oh LORD.,,,I never thought it would come to this

3. deb says:

I WILL tune in ….but if Z is cooking OFF the show goes!!!!

4. tutu says:

Please, oh please…get rid of the who’s amung us thing. It ruins the reading experience on an iPhone. That, and useless. Glad Faulkner lost, meh is right.

5. Lime says:

Tuned in. Watched it.

At least I can tell my grandkids I was there the day Darth Zakarian launched his culinary Empire.

6. Mimarin says:

:3 Well, I’m happy GZ won. After Anne and Alex left, I was sad but out of the two, GZ is SUCH a Hello Kitty. I’m starting to like him!

“I felt his heart.” ~ Morimoto <3 Awwww.

Also… was it just me or did Alex give off a totes cute vibe when she was helping out in the kitchen? I think that was awesome!

• Kelly says:

I laughed my butt off when she was actually busting arse in GZ’s kitchen, but then after EF asked her to “slice fennel”, she was absolutely PEEVED and moved as slow as possible. GO ALEX! That made my night! I personally didn’t care for the outcome, and I can’t wait to watch the first ICA where Zakarian loses his first battle. :)

7. TBoneNYC says:

Brilliant. The best Chef won hands down. Forget the personality. Personalities very rarely come thru on Iron Chef America until presentation. Four Kitties/Hello Fireplaces deserved it and I think he’ll be great to watch. My wife pointed out that IF Chef Guarnaschelli cooked for Falkner first she would have had a dish to make. By the time she ended up on that side of Kitchen Stadium all of the major components were on the way to being done. The only thing left was the details. Kudos Food Network. From the first promo I saw I figured a woman was a lock. They redeemed themselves by not selling out. And did anyone happen to notice how absolutely angry Guarnaschelli looked all during her segment. That alone is the number 1 reason she didn’t deserve to win.

• Boudica says:

Alex isn’t angry, she’s concentrating. She’s intense. Bobby Flay always looks a little mad, too. Double standard much? When you’re working against a clock, you don’t have time to worry about the expression on your face.

8. Melissa says:

Where was Robert Irvine? Why wasn’t he with the other contestants watching the finale????

• Laura_S says:

Now that you mentioned it, I didn’t see him sitting with the others. Maybe he was ridding some restaurant of rat poop and shitty food.

9. Toler Flyrence says:

Yes, shocked too. I thought for sure one of the gals was a lock. Falkner didn’t do anything for me this whole season–and while Zak was annoying at times, he sure can cook. And, he can’t follow the rules.
    I was hoping that Alex would help each chef cook a couple of amazing dishes and the judges would vote for her instead. Alas, Ms. Falkner made sure that didn’t happen by turning her into some kind of prep cook stooge.
    I guess I’ll watch Geoffrey battle it out on Iron Chef.
    And so it goes.

10. Kim from CO says:

I watched it, even though I had the same mentality of ‘Aaaand I don’t actually care who wins this’. Honestly, Cupcake Wars was more interesting. The Crushcakes lady was there for a third time and, for a third time, managed to make something really cool-looking…that had zero indication on it anywhere who the client was and what the event was.

11. FuryOfFirestorm says:

Faulkner wanted Alex to do more than chop fennel but the producers didn’t think that her suggestion to have Alex wrestle Anne in a kiddie pool full of cole slaw was a good idea.

12. Thomas says:

I wanted Gz to win over EF going in.

But at the end, I have to say EF seemed almost.. human. Why she didn’t act human throughout I don’t know.
    I also started to wonder what GZ could really cook on ICA.

More importantly. REDEMPTION. I haven’t seen that commercial on all day. I thought they would explain it already. It couldn’t possibly mean a second chance on the next season, because that would be dumb.

• ColK says:

I stick to my Mr. Spock comparison. Her crying at the end reminded me of the episode of Star Trek where Spock showed emotion. It was different to see but completely out of character.

Of the two, I mind Zakarian less but I’d have to actually see him on the show before I decide if he’s worth watching. We already rule out Garces and when we see he’s on. I know a lot of people like Morimoto but we can take him or leave him, the same goes for Forgione. We like Symon and Flay, especially when he loses.

Thumbs up: Symon, Flay, Cora if she’s still around.
      Eh, nothing else is on: Morimoto, Forgione.
      Thumbs down: Garces.
      TBD: Zakarian.

• miss mix a lot says:

Colk, you are one after my own heart… This is the same reasoning we have for watching ICA in my house…

Garces: What? (and this is coming from a Latina married to a chef)

“Flay, especially when he loses” THIS!!

Thanks, for making my dreary Monday brighter.

• Plumpy says:

Agreed, Colk. I’d rather watch a chef with an ego (Flay, especially when he loses) than someone blah who just blends in with the scenery (Forgione).

13. Ok says:

Could care less since it’s not Anne or Alex. I do however think they should do another season of NIC and just have all women chefs competing.

14. Carrie says:

They certainly rigged it to try and get a woman to win – with the high amount of female chefs and the lack of elimination of any until a fair way in to the competition.

Still, I’m happy with the outcome. I do think he’s better Iron Chef material than she was.

Anyone want to take bets on redemption? My guess is that the winner of the poll will face Zakarian on an episode of ICA – if they win it’s ‘redemption’ of sorts.

• L says:

I wouldn’t consider 3 females out of 10 chefs a high amount of female chefs.

• Carrie says:

4 out of 10 (you probably forgot Anne)- and no, it’s not a majority but give a) the male dominated industry and the fact that no female was elongated until the final six- there was some deck stacking there for sure.

• Thomas says:

I have no guess on redemption.

I guess it does say they get a shot at redemption. But either way it would bedumb. GZ wins, the fan favorite loses twice. GZ loses, the fan favorite gets to say yay I beat the next iron chef… but it doesn’t matter because he already got the title.

I’m not sure how hardit is for one of them to become a challenger. So that doesn’t seem likea great prize, but who knows.

15. Matt says:

WHAT? No screen grab or comment about when Judy Joo said that Elizabeth Faulkner “came into herself?”

I just about fell out of the chair laughing anticipating what you’d do with that!

16. something clever says:

I just liked that Faulkner served two salty balls as a dish.

17. Anna says:

Go Zakarian! Everyone needs to stop blubbering over Anne and Alex. THEY’RE JUST OK. Jesus. I don’t buy the whole “I don’t really care who wins!!!”. Uhhh then don’t watch it?

Boohoo obnoxious Alex didn’t win. The best chef won

• MyName says:

“…the best chef won”… which one, the one that couldn’t care to play by the rules yet every judge closed his/her eyes to that?! I would call them a fixed game!

18. Anna says:

Yah Zakarian! I don’t get why everyone is blubbering over Anne and Alex. I don’t buy “I don’t really care who wins!” Uhhh then don’t watch it. The best chef won. That’s all there is to it.

19. Sandy's food designer says:

Thank god that boy Faulkner didn’t win! I felt she was a bit inflated by the judges for the purpose of ensuring a female winner. And I’m happy to see FN not caving to the pressures of political correctness. If they want an equal shot for both genders, then have 5 of each at the start of the competition.

Anyway, can’t wait for GZ’s first ICA battle where he debuts his fireplace smoker and new hello kitty cutlery line.

20. sprode says:

It’s meh, but GZ is going to be more exciting than watching Judy Joo and Falkner seduce each other.

More Iron Mike.

21. Really says:

In the end GZ is the better choice. Honestly I find his pretentious demeanor sexy as all get out.
    I hope never to see or hear from Faulkner agsain.

22. Concerned Parent says:

I was rooting for GZ. Odd thing is I will never watch the ICA episodes no matter who won. I just watch the goofy competition shows.

Chopped, NFNS, and NIC are about all I watch on FN anymore.

23. Dr.L. says:

You could practically see JJ squirming in her seat about Faulkners’…food.
    That having been settled, did anybody see “Bama Glama?” That dude with the collagen injected lips is gay-somehow I didn’t see that coming. Still pretty lame show, though.

24. CDot says:

Chef Zakarian wears Hello Kitty bandaids, so I can’t hate him.

25. Chef Symon's Pork Fat Impacted Colon says:

Next Week: The debut of Chef Zakarian’s pink Hello Kitty inspired ICA chefswear.

• ButtaRumCake says:

“I fully expected Chef Zakarian to win by default with Chef Guarnaschelli standing over the lifeless body of Chef Faulkner, with an android spine in one hand and a fennel bulb in the other raised in victory.”

FTW!!!

26. Maura says:

If 10 Nazis were holding guns to my head forcing me to pick between Zakarian “Four Kitties/Hello Fireplaces” ( *snort* ) and Faulkner – I’d have to pick Zakarian each and every time.

I’ll take “I’m so much better than you and I know it” – because 75% of the time, his execution is flawless.

I don’t care if he’s an elitist bastard. I don’t have to sleep next to him -just want to eat the food he prepares – and he does that, in spades.

27. Mark says:

Of the remaining choices Zakarian was the right one. He grew on me over the course of the season. As others have said, he may be a giant snooty douche but it is clear the man can cook. While this show may be about personality, Iron Chef, and Iron Chef America are about the food. There is barely any interaction between the chef, the audience and the judges. Any other show I agree with you. The original Iron Chef was completely impersonal, especially with the dubbing but I fell in love with it.

28. MARTIN says:

I don’t understand how the majority of judges can declare that EF’s sorbet on a bed of lettuce the best bite of food of the battle. In fact, the Indian guy with Dumbo ears said it was something he will never forget! How good can sorbet on top of lettuce be? Even if its the most premium sorbet in the world….

Also, does anyone know why EF has closed one of her restaurants, “Citizen Cake” and is planning to close her other restaurant this week? If she is such a great chef, why is she closing both of her restaurants?

Further, no one commented that two of EF’s dishes were ice creams or sorbets. That’s 40% frozen desert!! And big wow, she made Beef Wellington (that’s not very creative given her background) and she paired Brussels spouts with bacon… not iron chef material.

And yes, I also saw that EF did cheat. As Jillian pointed out she definitely continued to work after the buzzer sounded. Somebody should have called her out on that. Still she wasn’t as bad as Aaron Sanchez who cheated twice when he competed a couple of season’s a ago. I will never like him because of that… and now I strongly dislike her.

29. Tamara says:

YEEEEEEUUUHH!!!! LOVE Zakarian and have been rooting for him to win since ep. 1!!! HhaHBAHAH!! I was so excited when his name was announced as winner. Gee. If the mood srikes me, I may pump my fist. …Actually, I’d sooner die than be a fist pumper.

30. Tamara says:

And about Falkner working after the buzzer was called, that could have been an editing issue. It’s not like you guys are the ONLY ones on the planet who caught that, while the losers who work on getting the show made didn’t catch it. Relax.

• Erica says:

I also wondered if it was just editing – maybe the voice over of Alton Brown’s countdown wasn’t exactly lined up with the video of where it was supposed to be.

31. Rachel says:

Jillian this was your best recap ever. Short and sweet, and the fireplace was awesome.

I”m surprised FN didn’t make more of an effort to give Zakarian a more likeable edit. I actually liked the dude previously — before the fireplaces and the St. Barts and the “luxury Christmas dinner.” Who the heck eats a luxury Christmas dinner anyway? It’s all about ham and your mother-in-law’s pecan pie.

• Iron Chef Hello Kitty says:

Agreed – Jillian I laughed so hard when I scrolled down and saw Mr. “Four Fireplaces” head inside the fireplace – well done!!!

32. Beejcctx says:

I’ve actually been to Falkner’s “Citizen Cake” in San Francisco – back in 2008. We were looking for basic elegant tasty wedding cake. They ONLY considered the flavors THEY had available – in lieu of a true tasting menu (we were visiting SF to get married before Prop 8 happened) so we bought about $20 of the existing cupcakes that were in case to get the idea of the palate – they all SUCKED! We ended up with another cake maker who met our criteria and delivered a gorgeous and fantastic

• Beejcctx says:

cake (sorry about that) – and we had originally gone to Citizen Cake since it was supposed to the be the “it” place. It wasn’t, and for the price the product and the lovely attitude of the staff (/sarcasm) really has us rooting for anyone but Falkner.

33. Minx says:

I can’t believe Falkner made it this far. She was a complete on-camera dud and I don’t believe she was a better cook than several of the other chefs. Good riddance. And why didn’t she just have Alex pick up a broom and sweep the floor? That made about as much sense as having her tidy up leftover choppings.

Zakarian is more articulate and expressive than than the last couple of ICs, which is what they need. Forgione and Garces do nothing for me. You have to go back to Michael Symon for an IC with any kind of camera presence.

• hockeymom2 says:

Haha…Falkner originally thought Alex would be best suited to crush the candy canes but those were already crushed by the camera man so she switched her to celery. So dumb!

• Chef Symon's Pork Fat Impacted Colon says:

You can thank Joo Joo Judy and her multiple Faulknergasms for that. Anyone who thinks incinerated marshmallow dust sprinkled on a plate is culinary genius should have their palate amputated immediately on the spot. My 4yr old nephew can cremate Stay Pufts all day and I don’t call him the heir apparent to Jacques P├ępin.

34. Eric says:

wait a minute. if Cora isn’t gone that means there are SEVEN (7) IRON CHEFS??!? thats absurd. and kinda makes being an Iron Chef less special, no? the original run i believe had four, tops. come on FN, this is just getting silly.

35. MrStPaul says:

When the picture of Geoffrey was revealed, I said, “OH, THANK GOD!”

I would never have watched Falkner on ICA. Zakarian, I’ll watch. Irritating as he can be, the man can cook.

Falkner gets too ‘creative’ with her food, yet sticks with her comfort zone.

I really didn’t care for Anne in this competition. I wouldn’t have minded seeing Alex win, but she seems to get too frazzled. Ridiculous to see her chopping fennel for EF.

36. Robert says:

Am I nuts for thinking that they’ll invite Elizabeth Falkner to compete on a future season/give her an Iron Chef coat if the shows are still on in a few years? They kept saying that Zakarian is at the top of his game and Falkner is just breaking out. They praised her innovation and see great potential in her. If not Iron Chef, they might start jamming her into shows like Chopped or Cupcake Wars to raise her profile on Food Network to lay claim to “discovering” Falkner.

37. AbacoPeach says:

I watched the first and last episode. So glad I only wasted two evenings!

38. Kimberly says:

At first I had the exact same reaction you did to Faulkner’s assignment to Alex. But then my boyfriend pointed out that Zakarian got Alex as soon as the cranberries were assigned — thus easier for her to start that task. Alex likely jumped into Faulkner’s battle after most dishes were underway but before plating, so perhaps these tasks were the only ones left.

39. BlackArawn says:

Like I said: it’s just like professional “wrasslin.’”

Either of these two wouldn’t last long in my kitchen before they quit because they got a boo-boo from an oven or got their little feelings hurt. Actors.

When lovely Alex got eliminated, I lost interest. If someone else that I really liked (like, say, AB himself) had participated, I would have been very entertained. If freaking Guy Fieri (barf) had been on, I would have watched just to see him squirm. So, until Smell-O-Vision is invented, we will be going on personalities, just as you wrote.

Now they’re about to air some weird contest hosted by the two “personalities” who make me change the channel faster than any others: Rachel Ray and the aforementioned Guy (Barf) Fieri. I think I’d rather watch “Bama Glama.”

(Barf.)

40. Steph says:

Personality wise, I’ll take Zakarian over Faulkner every time. If I had to hear some version of “I want to show everyone that I’m not just a pastry chef” one more time, I was afraid I might shove pins into my ear drums. I can see why she asked Alex to chop fennel for her – she probably didn’t have anything else to do – but the way she said it was bitchy. She’s good at it? Come on.

Yes, Zakarian is annoying as well. He really does push that “look at me, I have money” shit way too far. I don’t if it’s been mentioned here yet or not, but he filed for bankruptcy earlier this year after a bunch of employees at Country filed a class-action lawsuit against him for not paying overtime and taking extra deductions from their paychecks. Obviously not a person I’d want to spend a day at the zoo with, but I was much more impressed with his food and his attitude in the kitchen than I was with Faulkner.

41. Annie says:

I guess Geoffrey Zakarian can now go out and buy a house that has 8 fireplaces in it

42. Iron Chef Hello Kitty says:

I actually clapped out loud when I saw Geoffrey’s picture revealed last night. He was not my initial favorite to win this competition, but he definitely grew on me throughout the course of this season.

Also, I don’t think anyone has mentioned this take on why Faulkner didn’t have Alex do anything but mundane food prep jobs like cutting celery and icing fennel – she though Alex would try to sabotage her chances of winning by purposefully not doing an important dish well. It was obvious to me that Alex and Geoffrey are extremely close, and she would do more to help him win, and Alex was not very good friends with Elizabeth. Alex REALLY wanted Geoffrey to be the NIC if it wasn’t going to be herself.

• Chef Symon's Pork Fat Impacted Colon says:

That would show poor judgment on Faulkner’s part because she and Zakarian agreed on the choice of Guarnaschelli as sous chef. If that was her concern, then she should have nominated another whom she was comfortable with such as Chiarello.

To relegate a chef to breaking down veggies, who’s worked in more Michelin Star restaurants than all the chef contestants combined is totally idiotic. Whether or not Alex wanted GZ to win would be immaterial to the situation because no chef would want to be known as the person who tanked anothers chances on national television. Reputation is everything to these chefs. To besmirch that would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Faulkner should have had a dish in mind for Alex to prepare during the battle like GZ did to take advantage of her skill in the kitchen instead of doing mundane prep work. It was a total waste of talent due to Faulkner’s insecurity, if that was the case, that could have put her over the top.

• Thomas says:

There is also the possibility that Faulkner didn’twant Alex taking any credit for her win.

Had Alex made an amazing main course that outshone the Wellington, you know that would be what everyone would talk about. Alex won it for Falkner. Alex should have won.

And I think it is true that at that point Falkner had most of her dishes planned out/prepped.

I’m more interested in whatGZ would have done ifhe gother second. Clearly she wouldn’tstarta Rissotto.

• Erica says:

Why not? Wasn’t there still quite a bit of time when Alex went to EF’s side? More than enough time to make a risotto, right?

• Thomas says:

She probably went over at about 29:40.

It is enough time to make a dish (doubtfully Risotto). But Alex would only be there for 15 minutes (not enough time to make a real dish usually), so then EF would have to have one of her Sous finish it up.

Alex could have started something. I don’t thnik she should’ve though. But she should have done something more than garnish.

43. sweet peppa says:

LOVED the result.
    Congratulations to Iron Chef Zakarian.
    Totally deserved to win.

44. Dee says:

I am glad Cat Cora is not gone. The show needs some estrogen. I wasn’t really rooting *for* Faulkner, but I don’t really like Zakarian, either. He’s the high prince of douchelords. But now Judy Joo is free to dive right into Faulkner’s muff without anyone worrying about it skewing the results. MAKE A SHOW ABOUT THAT, FOOD NETWORK.

45. Kate says:

Zakarian’s lastest “GZ Tip” Holiday Edition:

To add a festive smell to your home, toss rosemary and thyme into your fireplace.

I think he reads this site. If the next one has to do with the house smelling like St .Barth’s I’m gonna die.

I LOVE THIS MAN MORE THAN BREATHING.

46. sow says:

I also yelled at the TV when F kept zesting. Cheater! Oh well, I prefer the Lord of the Fireplaces over her. Did you notice that the other chefs had big smiles when GZ won? I don’t think any of them like F.

• Thomas says:

There was an episode of ICA where Flay blatently garnished his plate overtime.

I am not sure how serious the dead60 minutes is.

47. WRONG CHOICE. Zakarian cruised through the competition and never really challenged himself or anyone else. He plateaued constantly and is a one trick pony. Falkner had potential and could have improved herself. Sadly, FN spoiled it themselves. Too bad. The one who challenged themselves and put themselves at great risk should have won. But like FNH says, its all entertainment so either way we get what we pay for. Metaphorically speaking of course. :3

48. Jaynie59 says:

Do any of you people know that Iron Chef is a completely faked show? It was only 10 years ago that the Japanese version became a hit on Food Network so it’s sort of amazing that so few people seem to get the joke.

There is no “Chairman”. They’re both actors hired for the parts. There never was any culinary academy, It’s a game show, people. Everything about it is faked.

Now, I don’t know what motivates some of these supposedly “famous” chefs beyond money and TV exposure, but I’d be willing to bet they all knew exactly where they would come in in this fake competition and were paid accordingly.

49. Jane says:

I was reading Alton’s tweets from this morning. It appears he feels the Iron Chef’s are falling down, in terms of their performance and wants each Iron Chef to be “tested” each year.

Kinda like qualifying for professional state board license..

Thank you, Alton.

• Thomas says:

ie. Kick Garcas and Forgione out.

Then again, I have never even watched a single battle with them in it.

• Kelly says:

The most exciting thing that happens when you watch a battle with Garcas in it: Guessing accurately how many plastic containers he’ll use to hold his ingredients.

• RBF says:

At one of his book signings, AB said that there really isn’t any real cooking happening on FN. Just Cupcake Wars, soon to be followed by “Cupcake Armageddon.”

On the positive side, it’s easy to clear room on the DVR since I only watch Symon and Morimoto battles.

50. Union Tom says:

Who cares of Chef Faulkner went over time … she didn’t win anyway. If she’d one that might be one thing, but she didn’t. At least FN could finally count and admit that Cat Cora lost more than she ever one and was let go

51. Kelsey says:

I was happy Geoffrey Zakarian, though I have no idea why. I just like him for some odd reason.

And I’m a little ashamed to admit I find him attractive, even though he’s old enough to be my dad. Did anyone see his Hello Kitty bandaids? Adorable!

52. Bellossom Ranger says:

Totally called it. I was dreading this episode and didn’t even watch it, but I’ll probably watch the recap. I don’t know why Zakarian is going to be an Iron Chef – he’ll be retiring in 10 years anyways, anyone actually know that he’s SIXTY-FOUR?!! I have a sixty-four year old man at my group home and… uh, I’ll leave it at that. :(

Seriously, WTF? I am totally boycotting Iron Chef America from now on, except maybe the reruns.

And it seems Cat Cora was hiding in the shadows, snickering to herself.

Cat Cora: “My reign is intact.”

*headdesk* :(

• Brown Sugar says:

I just read that GZ is 52. That makes him four years younger than Morimoto and one year older than Mario Batali. Also, I know 45-year-olds that are ‘older’ than my 66-year-old parents…age is a number.

53. The Holly says:

I hope his Iron Chef chef coat is a smoking jacket.

54. Kelly says:

I showed my husband this site about two weeks ago, and he loved it. Last night, after he would see Judy Joo talk ANYTHING about Faulkner’s dishes, he’d go, “ooooooh, me love you LONG time Chef Faulkner!” My husband is now officially a FNH goober, and I’m proud! :)

• Shannon says:

I just stumbled upon this blog today and I’m dying laughing! The comments are spot on! Judy Joo was loving her some Chef Faulkner fo’sho’!!! Love this blog long time!! : )

55. Polly says:

I had this visual of an upcoming episode of ICA where the giant dome lifts and the chairman announces the secret ingredients with flourish and much arm gesturing.

TURDS!!!

Since ICA always goes over the top, there will be a selection of turds from exotic mammals including unicorn.

At this point, Alton Brown will either suffer a sudden skull explosion or walk off in disgust. He’s got to much class to do the color commentary on this delicacy.

56. Guest says:

I think chef zakarian is hot too! I hope he wins, he is confident yet humble!

57. Girl Fairy says:

Glad Zakarian won. I would’ve rather seen Alex win, but I don’t mind GZ, at least it wasn’t Falkner that won- I most certainly would’ve never watched her. I can take or leave GZ on Chopped,but I’ll at least give him a try on ICA to see what it’s like. Like others who have posted before, if I switch on ICA & it’s Garces or Forgione (or however you spell it) I never watch. I’m hoping GZ is worth watching, because their last few picks have been awful.

• EQSATUB says:

I like Zakarian enough to at least give his Iron Chefs a shot. Forgione’s shows have actually won me over to him, even though I really didn’t like the guy last season of NIC. Garces is an EPIC FAIL…sorry.

• JR says:

Zakarian (although I like him) got his ass handed to him the one time he was on ICA.

58. Anita Bath says:

I’m glad Z won over Faulkner, but I did just see the episode where Z got his ass handed to him by Morimoto. He ain’t all that.

59. Anna says:

Why is it that when someone wins they always call it fixed? You could say that about any situation

• Jay says:

I called it fixed long before GZ won. I think it was the second time he skirted the rules and stayed on the show. I stopped watching after Anne left and have sworn off ICA because GZ won. It is all about the personalities for the viewers at home and GZ is rude, condescending, and way too cocky. I just don’t like him and I won’t be watching.

• Anna says:

Skirted the rules? It’s not fixed for god’s sake how dramatic can you be. It IS about the personalities and Zakarian is cool, cocky, and funny. It’s about who makes the best tasting food not who has the funniest quips. It’s not next iron comedian.

60. JayFo says:

I can sit here and honestly say I did NOT see this one coming. I was on Team Burrell or Guarnaschelli right up till they respectively got tossed, and even right down to the very end I was still not convinced that this douche was actually going to win it. But hey, what do I know? I’m just a viewer who is hopelessly sucked into Food Network, waiting in fervent anticipation that something worth watching might actually surface. Then I get slapped in the face with Geoffrey Zakarian winning Next Iron Chef and RayRay and Fietti hosting a doomed cooking show with washed up wanna be celebs………sigh.

61. MOTOWN SARGE says:

Maybe Chef Falkner and Judy Joo(gasm) will finally get a room. On a more serious note, I was rooting for Zakarian over Falkner after Anne Burell was eliminated. Someone said Zakarian was a one-trick pony? PLEASE!!! How many times did Falkner make a dish around ice cream or pastry? Let me answer that for you: EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!!! Zakarian demonstrated that his culinary skills run the gamut from appetizers to desserts and everything in between. Falkner’s biggest step outside her comfort zone was to make a Beef Wellington — wait a second, isn’t that beef wrapped in PASTRY? Not much of a jump. See ya Liz, welcome home GZ.

62. Geo says:

Jillian, I have to take issue with your statement ‘You know who else is good at that? EVERYONE ON THE PLANET’ regarding Alex Guarnaschelli’s ability to correctly chop fennel.

Sandra Lee has no discernible ‘knife skills’ and often leaves foods mangled and unevenly sized as though she’d hurriedly put them through a wood chipper. Granted such skills would typically require someone to not be holding a cocktail but it *is* Sandra Lee after all…

63. AKW says:

Funny thing was I felt outraged by the choice. Then I realized, I don’t even watch Iron Chef America. I only watch the reruns of Japanese Iron Chef.

64. Foo, D. says:

I want to see Celebrity Cook-Off Death Match. The winner drops the loser into giant deep fryer (with chipotle-infused oil, natch).

65. teh buttsecks says:

umm

sous chef what?

66. Zachary says:

I think that Chef Faulkner made a serious error when she went along with Chef Zakarian’s suggestion to go with Chef Guarnaschelli. As Z mentioned, they worked together on Chopped and he knew her style and tastes pretty well. That’s a pretty big advantage. Faulkner should have gone with anyone else.

67. IzardCo says:

Will there be a recap on his debut battle? I hear he got a perfect score, so either he got that much better since he appeared as a challenger or there’s something strange going on behind the scenes.